Help, chicken down!

jeanbean0913

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
I'm a newbie, we came home at dusk and found one of our chickens face down in the snow. We brought her inside to warm up, he is pretty lethargic still. His head kept falling from side to side. We got some water in him with a straw. We are in northern wisconsin. He started to make some squeeze noises now, but not moving

What can we try to feed him?
Or what should we do? My daughter found her favorite little guy dead today, now this one. We've had negative temp and a challenge keeping water from freezing.
Please help!

Last edited:

He's just laying there with his feet out in front of him....

It appears your rooster is suffering from hypothermia and frostbite.

He's in shock. You need to slowly re-warm him, then give him water with electrolytes to re-hydrate and counter the shock.

Do not rub the damaged tissue. You can use Vetericyn wound spray on the damaged parts.

When he's acting more like he's going to live, offer him boiled egg, Greek yogurt, or cooked oatmeal.

Probably allowing your chickens to free range during times of extreme cold isn't the best practice. They need shelter from wind chill, preferably well ventilated but free from cold drafts.

We are able to get him water using a straw. Kept him in the shower all night. His legs are still sticking out and he won't stand, but he is trying to eat

Dairy in moderation is okay for chickens. Mine get yogurt a couple times a month. They adore it and it helps add good flora to their guts.

It appears your roo is going to make it. Cheers!

I'm now pondering the idea he was caught out in the snow because his legs gave out and he couldn't make it back to the coop. He may have an issue with lameness. There is no way to tell what could be causing it, though. But one thing you can try is vitamins. B-2 to be exact. If you can get some, give him half a people capsule. I mix it in with a dab of peanut butter.

I have a hen right now with legs doing what your roo's are doing. The vitamins seem to be giving her more strength and she's walking now, even if unsteady. If you can't find B-2, Poly-vi-sol without iron would do. Or Poultry Nutri-drench.

Back
Top Bottom