1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Chicken drooling foul yellow liquid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueMoonFarm, Apr 26, 2016.

1. BlueMoonFarm

BlueMoonFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Solon, IA
    Found one of my 3-year-old hens puffed up, lethargic, and isolated when I went to close the coop. She seemed fine this morning. Her crop appears full but is not hard to the touch. She is drooling a foul-smelling yellow liquid. Is there anything I can do to help her? She is very ill. This is quite sudden.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. BlueMoonFarm

Mar 18, 2013
    Solon, IA
    Adding to say that all other hens seem completely fine. I have pulled her from the coop and put her in a crate in the house. I don't even know what possible diagnosis to research.

3. BlueMoonFarm

Mar 18, 2013
    Solon, IA
    After some more research here I think the problem is either impacted or sour crop. I vomited her as directed in the article, and A LOT of gross liquid came up, as did 2 pieces of grass. I will give her water with probiotics, but I am not certain whether I should give her the dampened feed as suggested in the article to keep crop working in case it is an impaction.

Please help! Food or no??

4. BlueMoonFarm

Mar 18, 2013
    Solon, IA
    She didn't make it through the night. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by