1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Chicken eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Michele G, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Michele G

Michele G New Egg

Jul 8, 2015
    Nederland, TX
    How do I get my Buff Orpington hen to stop eating eggs? Doesn't do it everyday, but at least 2-3 times in a week. I work, so I gather any eggs before I go to work, when I get home and then one more time when I close up the coop for the night. Advice is welcomed.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    You could make or buy roll out nesting boxes. . Try feeding oyster shell. .
    But if it's 2 or 3 times a week. . I'd just cull her from the flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    You could try putting fake eggs in the nest boxes to reduce the chances she'll peck at a good egg. Also she might become disinterested in pecking/eating eggs if she she selects a fake egg often enough. Not a guarantee but it worked for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. Michele G

Michele G New Egg

Jul 8, 2015
    Nederland, TX
    Thank you for the advice... I will give the oyster shell a try!

5. woodshen

woodshen New Egg

May 7, 2016
    Northern Minnesota
    I have chicken that used to eat eggs. I took 3 eggs that resembled her eggs and blew them out (poke a small hole in one end of the egg, a slightly larger hole in the other and blow into the smaller hole to get the egg out) I rinsed them in water and put a little mustard in them. Then I placed them in her nesting box. I found one of the mustard eggs broken and the rest intact but I left them there. She didn't break or eat any more eggs. If all else fails it's worth a try.

1 person likes this.
  6. Michele G

Michele G New Egg

Jul 8, 2015
    Nederland, TX
    Thank you for the advice ... I have some fake eggs so I will give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by