Help... chicken fell in lamp feeder/ broken leg!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aylala88, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Aylala88

Aylala88 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska
    Found this old girl in the lamb feeder. Guess she tried to roost and fell in. She can't walk so I am assuming she has a broken leg. Is there anything I can do for her? She's alert.
    [​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Oh, I wish I could help... Never had a bird with a broke leg, but have had one with a slipped tendon... Its distressing to say the least. Maybe a sling to hold her up?

3. Aylala88

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska
    I'm not sure how I would go about doing that? Could she have a slipped tendon? I really don't even know if she broke it or not??? She can move around but keeps her one foot pulled up and her toes together?

4. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    the best thing to do for a chicken with a broken leg is to leave it alone in most cases.if she can get to her food and water she will heal normally.if no improvements then get a large cardboard box mke 3 holes in a piece of strong cloth put the legs threw mke her a splint. place two cups one for food the other for water.get another piece of cloth and put it ober her so she cant get out of her recovery bed.if ypu can try and give her vitamins.

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Will she let you touch her? Maybe you can make a splint with popsicle sticks or something similar. Maybe you can create a "hammock" with 2 holes in it for her legs to go through that makes it so she can get off of her leg. I haven't had to do anything like this before so I don't know how much this info could help. I hope she will be okay. :)

6. Aylala88

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska
    I am trying to visualize this splint.. so a hole for her head and both legs?

7. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    first things first if you didnt see the leg get broken then consider that this may not be the problem unless you can feel the that the lleg is broken. she probably would not be holding her leg up if it broken they usaully just let it slid around behind them if its broken but not always.is the foot or leg at an odd angle.if so dont try to set the leg it could worsen it.it may grow crooked but will most likely get along just fine.

8. Aylala88

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska
    Well it may not be broken then... since she doesn't just let it hang. She keeps it held up to her body. But she just flops when she tries to get around.

9. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    have you looked at her foot maybe she has bumble foot or something in her foot.i had a hen who did the se thing and hoped around on one foot she had bumble foot and she was better within a week.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  10. Aylala88

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska
    What's a bumble foot? I literally found her stuck in the top of a lamb feeder. She couldn't get out... and I'm guessing she hurt herself in a panic to get herself back out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by