1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! chicken has canker!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pidgey33, Dec 22, 2016.

1. pidgey33

pidgey33 New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    I am new and I need your help! Let me first tell you that I don't own any chickens, but the people I work for have 2! they are two beautiful amerucanas who I just love! Their owners don't take good care of them, they just want them for the eggs and because they look "cute" in their backyard when they have guests. In my spare time (which is almost none) I try to keep their cage, food and water clean... unfortunately it is not enough as I just found out that one of them has canker! :( and I believe it started about 2-3 months ago! :( They went through a hard molt so they lost a lot of weight and stopped laying eggs but one of them has gone back to normal, that's when I started to suspect there was something wrong with the other one.

She is very, very skinny and spends most of her time resting and looks like she is cold. Today I picked her up and took her to a sunny spot and she fell asleep in my arms. At first I thought she was anemic so I went to boil some eggs (which she loves), when she saw them she immediately went to the bowl to eat and that's when I noticed she had trouble "swallowing", she started doing some strange movements with her neck. She had done this before (about 1 month ago) but I thought it was because the food was cold.. anyway, after she ate the eggs today I decided to check inside her beak and was shocked to see the yellowish-cheesy growths inside her throat! :( I am extremely sad and mad at myself for not noticing earlier!! I really hope I can still do something for her! but for that I need your help!

I would like to know what is the best and most effective treatment for it? I've read several posts that suggests using Fishzole (metronidazole) 250mg for 5-7 days. Now the problem is I only see her 3 days a week so I cannot give this treatment! so I was wondering if anyone knows if there is another medication that will work faster? or does anyone know if canker medication formulated for pigeons/raptors work for chickens too? I ask this because there is a pigeon/raptor medication called "meditrich" (it's also metronidazole but 100mg) and it is single dose only!! I know Fishzole is used for pigeons and chickens, so do you guys think this other stuff could work on her? as I mention before, she has had this for a while (and I don't see her too much) so I want something that will work fast!

Please let me know what you think or if you have any other suggestions too!

Thank you so much!!

2. pidgey33

pidgey33 New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    Ok, so I've been reading through the forum and I found out about "wet pox", it seems to be very similar to canker so now I have no idea what this chicken has. For sure she has been sick for at least a month, because on Oct 15 I took a video of her eating grapes and she was doing the weird neck movement, like having trouble to swallow.

Is there a way to tell wet pox and canker apart?! she only has the yellow cheesy growths in the throat. She does not have them in the mouth, near the beak or tongue, nor she has any lumps on her face, wattle, eyes, etc.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

@TwoCrows

She can help you.....

Cheers!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

Hello and welcome to BYC!

I am sorry your bird is sick. :hugs

Do you have a picture of these growths? They sound like canker to me, being yellow and cheesy. Acidified Copper Sulfate is your best bet. Metronidazole helps too and you can add this to her regime as well. But the Copper Sulfate in my opinion is the better route as there is less drug resistance. 1/4 teaspoon Acidified Copper Sulfate per Gallon of water. Canker is contagious so dose the entire flock. Make a new batch daily and use for 5 to 7 days, no longer. Make SURE to use probiotics AFTER this treatment because this stuff will kill off all good yeast and bacteria all throughout the gut.

Keep us posted! :)

5. pidgey33

pidgey33 New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    thank you for your help and suggestion! :) but as I mentioned above the chicken is not mine and I only see her 3 days a week, so it is impossible for me to give her a long term treatment :/ the owners don't care about her so I am sure they will not do it while I'm not there.

I saw her today and for some reason she didn't have the growths anymore! at around 11am I gave her a few drops of apple cider vinegar (and I also put in her drinking water) and when I checked her mouth at around 4:30 everything was clear! I don't know if it was the acv of something else! she did have some foamy-white saliva on one side of her throat.. what could this be? also, if I put too much pressure on her crop she will burp. Is this normal? I've never had chickens so I don't know.

thank you :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

7. pidgey33

pidgey33 New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    thank you!! I will try to give her that then :) I just have to find out where to buy it.

What else can a burping crop mean? I have picked her up several times and she had never done it until very recently. Thanks again for all your help and advice! :)

Oh and I would gladly take her to the avian vet that sees my 2 pet pigeons, but she is not mine and my boss would kill me if she finds out I took her :/ I can't sneak her out either because they have security cameras all around.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This place here... https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies...id=340&zenid=7d6c148139abef8f080047825137a81d Twin City Poultry. They usually ship same day and almost always ship priority mail. So it comes fast.

The Copper Sulfate can't hurt. Some people use it once a month or so just to worm or clean out the intestines and crop. Make sure to use Probiotics after treatments for a about a week. Maybe incorporate Apple Cider Vinegar once a week or so to help raise the PH of the body and sour up the Intestines where most pathogens take hold.

Good luck with her, I hope you can get her healed soon!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by