Help!! Chicken has gone down hill over night!!!

Skyler vaughan

Chirping
Sep 15, 2019
One of my hens who I’ve been treating for a small wound has suddenly developed a purple looking comb and is uncomfortable when I pick her up.
I’ve had her in my Avery for a couple weeks just cleaning and looking after the small wound, it’s finally healed up and there’s only a tiny scar of where it used to be.

I was planning on putting her back out with the flock but this morning she appears really ill? Her diet hasn’t changed and she’s been doing really well until now. When I went to pick her up she was really panicked and seemed to be in pain, when I put her back her wings were shaking and I’m concerned she’s broken them in some way?

Her comb is looking unhealthy and she doesn’t seem to be interested in food, but she’s ok with drinking water. I looked her over and I can’t see anything physically wrong, I checked her bum for stuck eggs, her crop for infection and under her feathers for mites but nothing seems to be wrong, the cut on her back is healed now so I don’t think it’s that. (Btw she is partially blind so no need to worry about her eyes)

Does anyone know what this could be? And how I can help her?
here is a photo:

Attachments

• 8E0ED497-9BC6-485E-91A8-784A9C872AD1.jpeg
    8E0ED497-9BC6-485E-91A8-784A9C872AD1.jpeg
    818.6 KB · Views: 39
One of my hens who I’ve been treating for a small wound has suddenly developed a purple looking comb and is uncomfortable when I pick her up.
I’ve had her in my Avery for a couple weeks just cleaning and looking after the small wound, it’s finally healed up and there’s only a tiny scar of where it used to be.

I was planning on putting her back out with the flock but this morning she appears really ill? Her diet hasn’t changed and she’s been doing really well until now. When I went to pick her up she was really panicked and seemed to be in pain, when I put her back her wings were shaking and I’m concerned she’s broken them in some way?

Her comb is looking unhealthy and she doesn’t seem to be interested in food, but she’s ok with drinking water. I looked her over and I can’t see anything physically wrong, I checked her bum for stuck eggs, her crop for infection and under her feathers for mites but nothing seems to be wrong, the cut on her back is healed now so I don’t think it’s that. (Btw she is partially blind so no need to worry about her eyes)

Does anyone know what this could be? And how I can help her?
here is a photo:
I dont know how to help you but maybe these people will be able to help you. @JacinLarkwell @Overo Mare @DobieLover @azygous @dawg53 @Wishing4Wings @Eggcessive .

How long has she been confined? Has she had access to grit during this time? Feel her crop. Is it full and lumpy and hard?

Her eyes - are they both identical in appearance? Is one more faded and muddy colored? Are the two pupils exactly the same? Is one tiny and irregularly shaped?

I’ve been treating for a small wound has suddenly developed a purple looking comb and is uncomfortable when I pick her up.
I’ve had her in my Avery for a couple weeks just cleaning and looking after the small wound, it’s finally healed up
She might be suffering from septicaemia as the wound might have closed too early and might have started to fester.
Where exactly is the wound located and what inflicted it?

When I went to pick her up she was really panicked and seemed to be in pain, when I put her back her wings were shaking and I’m concerned she’s broken them in some way?

Her comb is looking unhealthy and she doesn’t seem to be interested in food, but she’s ok with drinking water.
Is her crop emptying overnight - what does it feel like?
Photos of poop?
Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there any bloat or fluid? Abdomen tight like a drum?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

How long has she been confined? Has she had access to grit during this time? Feel her crop. Is it full and lumpy and hard?

Her eyes - are they both identical in appearance? Is one more faded and muddy colored? Are the two pupils exactly the same? Is one tiny and irregularly shaped?
Maybe a month now, and yes she has had grit. I don’t suspect an impacted crop or sour crop, her crop feels normal.
Her pupils have been tiny since she hatched, I suspect she has some sort of ocular problem (maybe ocular mareks?) and last year I realised she is partially blind. The pupils are both the same size.

She might be suffering from septicaemia as the wound might have closed too early and might have started to fester.
Where exactly is the wound located and what inflicted it?
It’s on her back to the right, just underneath her right wing. I sprayed it everyday and cleaned it with water, and we’re not sure how she did it but suspect when one of the cockerels jumped on her he could have cut her, then other hens could have pecked her.
Is septicaemia untreatable?

Is her crop emptying overnight - what does it feel like?
Photos of poop?
Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there any bloat or fluid? Abdomen tight like a drum?
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Yes her crop is empty every morning, and she always runs straight out the coop to eat. She layed an egg yesterday but not today. I felt her abdomen and it feels squishy but I’m not sure what it should normally feel like. As I was feeling it she pooped and it looks really messy, looks like there is blood in it!

If caught early and with the right antibiotic treatment, some can survive.

But after looking more closely at the picture, I doubt that she will make it on her own. Sorry.

Yes her crop is empty every morning, and she always runs straight out the coop to eat. She layed an egg yesterday but not today. I felt her abdomen and it feels squishy but I’m not sure what it should normally feel like. As I was feeling it she pooped and it looks really messy, looks like there is blood in it!
Sorry the images didn’t attach

Attachments

• 852A9E23-75A2-415F-AE0F-22EB3500A963.jpeg
    852A9E23-75A2-415F-AE0F-22EB3500A963.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 0E046661-FE71-4273-A705-642B6E1451DC.jpeg
    0E046661-FE71-4273-A705-642B6E1451DC.jpeg
    982.1 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom