Help! Chicken hatched a few moments ago but is deformed?? (PICTURE)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oldredhen, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Oldredhen

Oldredhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    I noticed right away that where his bottom is, there is something sticking out..(right side of pic).. is this normal or could he have his insides inside out? He's rolling all over the wire bottom in the bator trying to get his balance, but am worried about him......any feedback would be appreciated. He pipped at around 5 yesterday, was up with him until 2 am, only zipped half the egg. Just had to get the dried membrane off him so he could unfold his head, it had dried to him pretty bad. I don't like helping, but after 17 hrs he needed help.
    [​IMG]

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Have no clue what that is but i believe i would cull him after that many hours and not getting any better

3. Oldredhen

Jan 20, 2010
    Quote:OH, 17 hours was the time from pip to hatch, this pic is just now, he just hatched.

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    It looks like the remainder of the yolk just absorbing into the umbilicus hence the lump, keep the area very clean and the chick should stand a good chance of survival, it will probably scab over and fall off at some point or absorb completely.

5. Oldredhen

Jan 20, 2010
    Quote:Thank you so much!! I sure appreciate it, after waiting so long I was so disapointed. Thanks again.[​IMG]

6. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    I hope its ok. Keep us posted.

7. Oldredhen

Jan 20, 2010
    Well, he is doing better, trying to stand, chirping like crazy, hopefully he'll pull thru, the only other chick is calling to him, he's lonely.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I had one that looked worse than that. I really thought his intestines were out..it looked really unlike all the others I've hatched. He was just fine though .

9. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Looks like umbilical to me too. some are worse than others. as long as the others dont peck at it I think he will be fine. You never know sometimes its not ment to be.
    Good luck and God Bless!

10. chickluver:D

chickluver:D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    maryland
    wait for 'im to dry then eggsalom him [​IMG] [​IMG] (evil laugh)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by