1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Chicken in dire situation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elephantbuddy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. elephantbuddy

elephantbuddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Two days ago I found one of my 1 year old barred rocks lying on the floor, with her eyes closed and a super large crop., and a hard purple tinted comb. I brought her inside to find she was refusing to use her legs and her pupils were dilated. I immediately put her in the sick bay, in fear that she had a contagious disease. I felt her enlarged crop to find it was as hard as a rock. I felt that there were no feathers on her crop, and looked at the skin. It was green! She is having severe diarrhea that is also a dark green. I thought she had an impacted crop and gone septic. I tried to give her a little bit of vegetable oil and am pushing the fluids. She is refusing to eat, even with help, and will only drink when forced. I have tried giving her eggs, oatmeal, and watered down food. When I try to massage her crop to break up the mass, she squirms away. She has been very still for the past two days, her eyes are less dilated, but are still slightly. She is resisting more and using her legs more. Please give me suggestions on what I should do. I am not going to bring her to a vet, and I am wondering if it would just be more ethical to cull her at this point. Thank you.

2. elephantbuddy

elephantbuddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Could it be something other than impacted crop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by