1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! chicken in the ICU :(

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Keene's coop, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    so last night when i put the chickens away, it was real dark and i couldn't see very good, but looked like all 5 were in. they roost almost on top of each other so it's kinda hard to count them. so this morning i let them out and there were only 4. found the 5th one under the coop. she was there all night. thank god it was not cold out last night. but she was laying down, eyes closed, and kinda leaning off to the side. so i went under and grabbed her and brought her in the house to put her under heat and so the other chickens don't peck at her. have food and water in front of her. i don't know what else to do. i'm assuming i just sit and wait. i can't imagine the other chickens pecking at her cuz she's the mean one and she over powers the others. any ideas to what could be wrong with her? is there something else i can do to help her get better? please help [​IMG]

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Can you find any wounds on her? Is she eating or drinking? I would try to put some vitamins and elctolytes in her water and maybe she just got chilly. Does she have any other symptons? I would try to give her some scrambled eggs (protein), yogurt, some kind of treat that she loves and see, but definitely try to get her to drink.

[​IMG] and [​IMG] hoping your girl gets better.

3. Keene's coop

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i tried to get her to drink a couple of times. no wounds. i've been checking on her about every 1/2 hour. and i just checked on her and now her head is laying on the floor. i think she'll be dead within the hour. but i'm gonna keep trying to get her to drink. she won't eat. at least this time the neighbors dog didn't get to her.

4. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am so very sorry. I have lost my hen Annie out of the blue like that as well. I know it hurts and I am wishing I could take the pain away.

I would hold her until she was gone, she would then know she was loved.

[​IMG]

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Get a syringe or eye dropper and push it gently into the mouth and force her to drink - you must do this now or she will die!!!! make sure the water has sugar or honey in it!!!! Do this every half hour for three hours and then see how she is? Get her a heat pad to sit on. If you want her you have to fight for her. I had one the same I think a lot of this is shock from cold and preditors in the night. The sugar water will help that but YOU MUST FORCE IT INTO HER just giving her a bowl of water wont work!!!!
    SHOCK KILLS
    Oesdog

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Keene's coop

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i think she was under the coop long before i locked them up. but anyway, she died shortly after i posted the second post. my 8 year old was real upset, the other two were fine. but my 8 year old was happy that it wasn't our next door neighbors dog, again. that's another story. but she's in a better place. RIP milly [​IMG]

7. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    My condolences. [​IMG]

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry. She may have been ill when she went under the coop. RIP Milly. [​IMG]

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Sorry she is gone!!!!!!! As you say she was probably ill before and went under the coop to hide. You probably missed her there in the dark when you locked up because of that - so you have nothing to feel bad over. You did the best you could with the knowledge you had. I am sure she knew you cared.

Oesdog - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am so sorry Keene. It is always sad to lose one our feathered friends. Sounds as if she was sick for a little while. They are good at covering up if they don't feel to well.

[​IMG] to you and your 8 year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by