Help! Chicken is dying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luckybaby, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    My about 4 month old chicken is very active yesterday. However, today, my mom found him inside my chicken's cage, lying down and lethargic. He is a free range chicken, and since about 3 weeks ago, him and his siblings started to sleep on the branches of the mango tree. Probably it is at least 10 feet above the ground of the cage where they want to roost. Whenever he try to go inside the cage, other chickens will peck on him, so I think that he is pecked a lot when he is on the cage today. However, whenever I saw him on the ground inside the cage, he can easily run away from the aggressive chickens and get out of the cage. He get dry fowl pox and wet fowl pox, although, I think it is a mild case for both right now. I tried to take out some yellow cheesy looking substance in his mouth today. Interestingly, I saw the same thing, but significantly smaller near the opening of the trachea. I took it out, but he had no trouble breathing at all, even before I took out the wet fowl pox lesions. The way his legs looks when he is standing up looks normal, but he doesn't want to walk or run at all, and he doesn't want to eat or drink. Also, he is acting much worse, after I took out the wet fowl pox. He can no longer stand after I finish doing it, and his eyes are closed most of the time. I tried to take out the wet fowl pox moderate or severe lesions in my other 2 chickens, but they are active after I did it. Did he eat something bad for his health? Why does it look like, that he is dying?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    He died more than 14 hours ago. He may have had an infection. About 6 weeks ago, I saw him with both of his wings touching the ground while he was walking, and he was panting at the same time. It lasted for 3-4 days consecutively and for few to several minutes a day after those days. I thought he was doing that just because it was hot, even though, none of my chickens show that kind of symptoms(wings touching the ground when it was hot. They only usually spread it a little bit and pant at the same time).

I have a chicken who died about 7 weeks ago, with the same symptoms(however, unlike the one that died about 14 hours ago, his wings are constantly touching the ground for at least the last 30 days of it's life), but very small( about 1/3 his size when it died) when compared to his size. It was his sibling, and they eat and drink at the same place. He have 2 more siblings that are alive right now, but they don't appear to show the same symptoms.

The antibiotics that I ordered for my other chickens arrived 3 weeks ago, and it contains amoxicillin trihydrate and tylosin tartrate. I didn't even try to use it for him, since he looks healthy on that time, until yesterday.

I bought the antibiotics, to treat secondary bacterial infection since my chickens have wet and dry fowl pox on that time, and also, to treat necrotic enteritis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by