Help! Chicken is limping and when she breathes occasionally makes a croaking sound???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mygirlnugget, Jun 17, 2016.

1. mygirlnugget

mygirlnugget New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    This afternoon my mother informed me my chicken was limping and the other two she was raised with are chasin her off and pecking at her. When I went out to check she was far from the others hiding and was limping. When I picked her up and was checking out her left foot she was making croaking noises like a frog. I don't know what to do. Help??? She's is around a year old. She is the one behind the two closest to my ducks. [​IMG]

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Is it possible that she ran on a slick surface and injured her foot? I had a California White that went down a slide after flying to the top of a swing-set. She sprained her leg and limped/hopped for a while until it healed on it's own. Is there any visible bruising or discoloration of the leg or foot? Any cuts? My chickens only seem to "croak" when they are trying to ward off others, are stressed, or are injured.

3. mygirlnugget

mygirlnugget New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    There wasn't anything visible but she seems to be better today! Thank you for the info! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by