1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! Chicken is sick and I don't know what to do!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cutiechook1, Jan 21, 2017.

1. cutiechook1

cutiechook1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    Soooo... I went out this morning to collect eggs and there was this chicken that was laying on the ground(BA btw.). I kind of nudged her with my foot and she got up, but her tail was down. After walking a few steps, she laid down again. I picked her up (none of my BAs will ever let me touch them!) and she did not struggle. I put her in a barn on top of the hay and she just laid there. What is her problem, will she be okay, and how do I deal with this???

Pictures are below:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Is she laying? If she is old enough to lay eggs, I would check inside her vent with one finger to feel for a stuck egg. Offer her some chopped egg, along with her food and water to see if she will drink. Feel of her crop to check if it is empty, full, soft, or hard. Look her skin over around the vent for tiny bugs (lice or mites.) Keep her separated near food and water perhaps in a dog crate on an old towel, so that you can observe what her droppings look like.

3. cutiechook1

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    She is paying age, but is there any other way to check for a stuck egg? She does eat, but I had her in a small barn in one place for 10+ hours and there was no poop on the barn floor. Another thing, how do you check her crop? Where is the crop as well?

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No.I would check for the egg fast.Its easy don't worry.Egg bounds chickens can die within two days.This is where the crop is located.On the right side of the breast.EDIT-PIC is below

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can stick a finger into her vent (use a rubber glove) an inch or 2 to feel for a stuck egg. The crop is in her upper right chest just below the neck.It should feel empty first thing in the morning, and gradually fill up during the day as she eats and drinks. If it feels hard and full, that can indicate impacted crop if it doesn't empty by morning. If it feels full and balloon-like anddoes not empty overnight, that can be sour crop. Sick chickens with other illnesses may get a sluggish slow to empty crop.

[​IMG]

7. cutiechook1

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    Okay, so another one of my chickens had a bulge on the front right of her breast. Was she eggbound? I felt it, but it DID NOT feel like an egg. It felt kind of like a balloon, but very squishy...

8. cutiechook1

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    And another thing. Thanks for the help!!

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The crop was probably full of water and some food. The crop should be partially full during the day, but by the next morning before they eat and drink, the crop should be mostly empty. If not there can be a crop problem. Search for TwoCrows good thread in the search box at top of the page called "Impacted and Sour Cop Treatment." Check for egg binding by inserting a finger inside her vent,where it should just feel soft inside normally.

10. cutiechook1

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    Okay, I felt the crop: fine... I couldn't get my finger into the vent. She has yellow goop stuck to the fluff underneath her vent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by