1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help: Chicken just died!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by conniewu, Nov 3, 2010.

1. conniewu

conniewu New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    Hi, All,

I just saw a dead chicken in my chicken house. Her body is still warm. I have about 30 chickens. Nothing unusual this morning. But I am very worried by it. I need to have this dead chicken examined for the cause of her death. Can some one tell me where I can get such help?

Thanks!

Connie

2. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    You can probably have the local vet examine the chicken. How old was the chicken? I know young ones can sometimes lay on the other when it is cold and sufficate them and leave the body warm. Even seen other chickens laying down to sun bathe and another will come along and accidently stand on their neck. Have you boughten any new birds that were added to your flock? Sometimes you can introduce new birds that have colds that spread to the rest of the flock. Did you check for any wounds or other signs of injury incase of a predator attack?

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:It was cold out last night here in New England... Not sure where you were, but if the gals were bunched up, then one might have been unfortunate.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Try contacting your county extension agent, they should help you out.

5. conniewu

conniewu New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    Quote:Try contacting your county extension agent, they should help you out.

Thanks! I am in Fulton County (North). Where is the "extension agent"?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can look in the phone book under "Fulton County," go down the list and you should see it. If not, call the county information desk and ask them for the number. Good luck.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    try the links at the top of this thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by