Help, chicken laying bloody eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CherriesBrood, Oct 8, 2015.

1. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hi, I have a coco maroon who has been laying bloody eggs for the last three days, yesterday and the day before the egg was covered completely in dry blood, and today there is only a ring. I'm wondering if she has done something to herself that would need to be treated. She is not acting sick or hurt. Here's a picture of the egg so you can have an idea of what's going on.
    (In the past occasionally she would lay eggs with a little blood on them to, but not reguraly like she has been lately)

[​IMG]

Any ideas what's going on? Or if I need to do anything? I've researched this before, but I forgot what it is. Thanks for the help. :)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That could be blood, which sometimes happens if they aren't regular layers because the cloaca has to stretch out, or that's more likely the dark coloring being distributed on the egg in an odd pattern which happens a lot with dark egg layers.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think that is blood......but maybe a pigment glitch.

Have you looked at her vent for signs of injury?
    How old is she and how long has she been laying?

4. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

aaart I haven't yet, she has been laying for about 2 years I think.
    Im going out to go look at her now, and I'll be back with what I find.

5. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I don't think that's blood either. Try wiping it with a damp cloth to see if it comes off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Very funny that I got a partially pigmented egg today....similar to yours.
    I think the hen that laid it was not happy I was cleaning the coop this morning when she wanted to be laying, she kept jumping out of the nest and running out to the run.
    Stress can cause glitches in the system, in this case a 'spray booth' glitch. Normally her eggs are a pretty dark brown.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by