Help- chicken losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickgirl11, Nov 21, 2011.

1. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    My BR was molting normally but yesterday she looked terrible. She had no feathers on her neck and half of her tail feathers were missing. Today she looked a little better but she was still pale and somewhat featherless in those areas. What is happening?

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    She is just going through a heavy molt. Perfectly normal [​IMG]

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

My neighbor has a couple of naked hens right now too. They look absolutely horrid, but act like its just another day... FOOD FOOD FOOD WHERES MORE FOOD! Normal.

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Edited because my comp is potato.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    thanks

6. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    i would agree... heavy molt. My girl, amulet, she is going through her molt right now, and a chunk of neck feathers were gone, so from the side she looked like someone had plucked all her feathers from her neck, if you lifted her feathers that were growing over it, you could see where her feathers had been shed off. She's better now. point being said, hard molt.

7. new2chickenlife

new2chickenlife Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    ok I am having the same issue but how long before they grow back. we had BR molt several months ago and they still look bad

8. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    If memory serves right, it's at least a month till feathers grow back. My girls always seem to molt in the winter, and look dreadful. I spoil them with some extra protein to help regrow the feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by