Help- chicken losing feathers

chickgirl11

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Citra, Florida
My BR was molting normally but yesterday she looked terrible. She had no feathers on her neck and half of her tail feathers were missing. Today she looked a little better but she was still pale and somewhat featherless in those areas. What is happening?

She is just going through a heavy molt. Perfectly normal
smile.png

i would agree... heavy molt. My girl, amulet, she is going through her molt right now, and a chunk of neck feathers were gone, so from the side she looked like someone had plucked all her feathers from her neck, if you lifted her feathers that were growing over it, you could see where her feathers had been shed off. She's better now. point being said, hard molt.

ok I am having the same issue but how long before they grow back. we had BR molt several months ago and they still look bad

ok I am having the same issue but how long before they grow back. we had BR molt several months ago and they still look bad
If memory serves right, it's at least a month till feathers grow back. My girls always seem to molt in the winter, and look dreadful. I spoil them with some extra protein to help regrow the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom