Help..chicken making weird sounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iloveourbabychick, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Iloveourbabychick

Iloveourbabychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    He sounds hoarse when he peeps.It just started after he gobbled into his food tonight.He wont drink now but he has been drinking today.Hes been sneezing.This all started after the food thing.He drank some water then shot out a poop of just pure water...but otherwise hes doing good.Hes just hoarse and he digs at his mouth..any ideas?Can they get colds from people because we have had colds but everyone has been real careful around him.

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chick can't catch a cold from you.... I'm going to defer to folks with more knowledge about respiratory ailments. (Bump)

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Not sure but ill bump you up. Might or could be allergies.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Could have gotten something stuck in his throat.

How old is your roo?

What are you feeding?

Were there any symptoms before today? Nasal discharge, coughing, sneezing, eyes running?

Can you check his throat by very gently opening his mouth (if he's not already holding it open) and checking to see if there is a blockage ~ hay, straw, feed, or even something less common like gapeworm? (these will look like whitish or pinkish threads in the throat)

5. Iloveourbabychick

Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    our roo is 9 weeks old.All he eats is chick starter.Hes in inside chicken...We are always watching him.No hay..It just happened after he gabbled down some food..now hes singing to himself,looking at himself and watching cartoons.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like he might have aspirated some food. Keep an eye on him and keep us posted on how he does ~

7. Iloveourbabychick

Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    what do you mean by aspirated some food?sound we worry?hes sleeping now and is not making the noise anymore

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by