Help! Chicken making weird wheezing noises

kaitlynasmith

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
Hi! My 6 month frizzled EE is making these strange noises. See attached video. We were gone a couple days and I came back to find her making this wheezing noise with occasional honking/sneezing. I had friends checking on our girls while we were away and she wasn’t making noises. So this started today. She happily free ranged upon our return, but she sounds terrible. She looks okay, I saw her drinking and she has stuff in her crop so I’m assuming she has been eating. She is a relatively new layer, but she’s laid in the last couple days. Any thoughts on what is going on? Thanks for your help!

How is she doing?
Hopefully by the time you see my post, this has resolved on it's own.

It sounds like she has Stridor which is when food/water, mucous, etc. gets hung in the airway. Sort of like inhaling a piece of food. Usually this resolves within 24hrs.

If she's the same in the morning, then it would be a good idea to look inside her beak for obstruction/mucous and see that her nostrils are clear.

How is she doing?

It sounds like she has Stridor which is when food/water, mucous, etc. gets hung in the airway. Sort of like inhaling a piece of food. Usually this resolves within 24hrs.

If she's the same in the morning, then it would be a good idea to look inside her beak for obstruction/mucous and see that her nostrils are clear.
Thanks so much for your response! She still sounded not great this morning. I did check her beak and nostrils- couldn’t see anything. I’ve been messaging her crop and neck. She does sound a bit better this evening. Hopefully it is just stridor and it’s taking her a bit to clear. She continues to seem fine otherwise. Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Thanks so much for your response! She still sounded not great this morning. I did check her beak and nostrils- couldn’t see anything. I’ve been messaging her crop and neck. She does sound a bit better this evening. Hopefully it is just stridor and it’s taking her a bit to clear. She continues to seem fine otherwise. Thanks again for taking the time to help!
Is she able to eat/drink o.k.?

How is she doing?

It resolved! She is no longer making the noise. Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom