Help chicken neck pecked to the point of blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starrmar006, Apr 30, 2017.

1. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi,
    I have a special needs chicken that has always had problems with getting peacked and today when I event outside to let them out of their run pen thing I saw my little chicken white feathers a deep red around her neck I looked and there is a bad gush in he neck anything I can do. I got the pic but it won't let me put it on the page when on a phone

2. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    Never mind we hadn't to put her down

3. It was THAT bad?!

4. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    That's weird. [​IMG]

5. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    Please don't forget little starrmar006 speaks 5th grader.

Our little hen had to be put down today. Very sad for us. She has always been at the bottom of the pecking order. Last year the hens gathered around her and pecked her neck until she had a deep wound.

Little starrmar006, 5th grader and I cared for her round the clock and suprisingly she recovered to regrow her feathers. She was the favorite hen of an aggressive rooster, leading to a large hole again on the back of her neck. And again she recovered. Even though she tripped over her feet, she survived the neighbor dogs. The past few months we thought she would be in the clear. Today our turkey got her. Once again hens surrounded and watched our little Clumsy struggle under the weight of the turkey. Never in my life did I ever think I would be so attached to a clumsy hen.

Clumsy, you thought me to never give up. You weren't as strong or as big, but you proved all those who said you wouldn't make it. You tripped on your feet but let me hold and sing to you while all the other hens ran from us.

We will miss you,
    mom and little starrmar006

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Okay,

May I ask who little starrmar006 and 5th grader are?

Your Piece was nice...

"Clumsy, you thought me to never give up. You weren't as strong or as big, but you proved all those who said you wouldn't make it. You tripped on your feet but let me hold and sing to you while all the other hens ran from us."

-TAH

7. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Put some Bactroban or Muciprin cream on it to keep down infection. Then put some Lidocaine cream on it. Ask a pharmacist for an over the counter Lidocaine cream if you do not have any around the house, it is a painkilling cream like a powerful Aspercream. Then paint the wound with paint-on bandaid like New Skin. I had a chicken with a wound caused by a dog; things were really not looking good that is what I did, and kept it on the porch in a dog crate, the chicken was fine.

8. BIggoMamma

Mar 6, 2017
    Put some Bactroban or Muciprin cream on it to keep down infection. Then put some Lidocaine cream on it. Ask a pharmacist for an over the counter Lidocaine cream if you do not have any around the house, it is a painkilling cream like a powerful Aspercream. Then paint the wound with paint-on bandaid like New Skin. I had a chicken with a wound caused by a dog; things were really not looking good that is what I did, and kept it on the porch in a dog crate, the chicken was fine.

9. BIggoMamma

Mar 6, 2017

10. BIggoMamma

Mar 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by