Help! Chicken not eating or anything

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by n1st, Aug 6, 2007.

1. n1st

n1st Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    This morning I noticed that one of my 2 year old chickens wasn't pecking around like the other chickens, she was just laying there. I put her in the nesting boxes to see if she had to lay an egg, but she just jumped out and stayed on the perch. I tried to give her some yogurt ( her favorite food), but she wouldn't eat anything! She won't drink either! She's just standing there. She seemed fine yesterday!
    What could this be and how do I help her??

2. n1st

n1st Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    OK, she seems better now. I noticed that she pooped/layed out something like an egg white and the yolk with out a shell. I think she had an egg broken inside of her (egg bound I think it's called), so I brought her in, gave her a bath while massaging her abdomen, put mineral oil on her abdomen and vent, and put some olive oil up her vent. She is eating now and drinking a little.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the shell was formed and the egg broke, make sure there are no shells in her as that could be bad news, chances are though there was a rubbery shell or membrane that was already expelled. Good to hear she is doing better.

4. n1st

n1st Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    OK, she seems better now. I noticed that she pooped/layed out something like an egg white and the yolk with out a shell. I think she had an egg broken inside of her (egg bound I think it's called), so I brought her in, gave her a bath while massaging her abdomen, put mineral oil on her abdomen and vent, and put some olive oil up her vent. She is eating now and drinking a little.

5. n1st

n1st Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    Ok, I'll check and make sure that there is no egg shell in her. Don't ask me how I posted 2 of the same replies [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by