Help!! Chicken paralysis?? No other symptoms!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannahm83, Sep 21, 2016.

1. hannahm83

hannahm83 New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    My 5 month old Easter Egger, Elsa, suddenly developed paralysis last week. Since then I have separated her from the other hens. None of my other chickens show any symptoms. She eats, she drinks, doesn't have diarrhea, but can't walk! She can't really stand well and will just roll over on her side if you push her a little. I'm not sure what it could be?? I have been giving her vitamins daily along with her normal layers feed, oats and cracked corn and her daily greens. Suggestions? [​IMG]

2. WiChickenFarm

WiChickenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Green Bay / Appleton, WI
    I had this a few months ago with one of our pullets. Unfortunately, she passed. I did an autopsy and didn't find anything unusual. None of the other 40 birds the same age ever had the same symptoms.

Have you felt her legs carefully to verify no broken bones? I did have a hen a few years ago that wasn't moving and we finally put her out of her misery. Then I did find a cracked upper leg bone that explained it.

Other than keeping her separated and keeping her comfortable, sorry I don't have much else to offer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by