1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, chicken poop problems!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickcrazychick, Feb 5, 2014.

1. chickcrazychick

chickcrazychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    North Central Oklahoma
    My chickens are free range, and I like it that way. I just can't bring myself to keep them in their run. Buut I absolutely cannot stand the chicken poop ALL OVER my front and back porch (including any and all things on my porches) We have 5 acres of beautiful property for them to range on, yet they cover my porches in poo. Now my question would be, can chickens be trained to stay out of certain areas, or is there a repelent to be used? I onow this may be wishful thinking, but any feedbacki appreciated! And no I can't put up fencing, it's not possible..

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Why is it not possible? You could get some net type fencing. Your other option is to hit them with the hose every time they trespass. Otherwise, you'll have to put up with the poop, or keep them fenced in. Good luck. Let us know if you find anything that works.

3. chickcrazychick

chickcrazychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    North Central Oklahoma
    The net fencing may work around the front, but husband wont let me put any fencing up anywhere in the yard, let alone the porches, the hose did work in the summer for sure, they didn't like that, lol! Besides being embarassing, the worst part is the kids tracking it on the carpets on their shoes. I fear i may have to downsize the flock and keep em in their run, and let them out when Im home to keep them back! But I will check out the net idea, seems like a good option! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by