HELP CHICKEN RESCUE in progress

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bambi, Jun 18, 2010.

1. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Please help me, there is a chicken living in a very, very small cage with no protection and in the broiling sun:mad:. I have not seen this bird but my DS has. She has asked me if she can get them to give her the bird or buy it from them. She wants me to take it from her. Of course I am willing but I need to know if it turns out to be a game hen or a game Roo will it kill my chickens ? I may be able to iosolate for awhile but it will have to be able to blend in with my already made flock:oops: . What am I to do?

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Any chicken will have to be intergraded into your flock. My game chickens are very sweet and i have no problems with the hens. The roo's can be like any other roo......i would go get it regardless and just find it a good home or keep it!!! Keep us posted

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't forget that, if you do adopt the chicken, that you isolate it for at least two weeks to make sure it is healthy and doesn't contaminate your existing flock.

That's a sweet thing to do, but just be careful......[​IMG]

4. bambi

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Just recieved a e-mail with pic of chicken in question. Looks like it is a game roo of some sort because it has long tail feathers but not much of a comb or waddle. I just don't know what to do. I have a RIR roo and 3 RIR hens, 2 OB hens 14 weeks old. Does anyone think I will be able to intergret him/she with my family of chickens?Also the family that has this chicken if question view animals differently. The son shot and killed one of their dogs because it didn't come to him fast enough when he called it so he shot it dead when it did come to him. My DS has dogs and she fears that they might do something to one of them if this is not approached in the right matter. Boy I am feeling lost right now on what to do.

5. bambi

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I am not sure if I posted this in the right place or not. But as you well can tell I am a little bit desperate. Does anyone have any answers? thanks for nay ideas.

6. bambi

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    oops meant to say any ideas:)

7. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    if it is in distress and needs help you may want to get it and find a better home for him if you cannot keep him i have game hens, RIR, BO, 2 roos and they all get along fine. he may of been used to fight (just a thought). good luck.

8. bambi

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    If this is a Game roo, do you think I can keep peace between my RIR roo and the game roo?

9. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    With owners like that, there is a real possibility it is a fighting roo, or is being raised to be one......
    That's a terrible story about their dog!!

10. bambi

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Also it has to be in distress it can' t get anywhere for shade and it has no food and a metal dog water bowl also that is in the sun. The cage is very small just big enough for the chicken and the water bowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by