HELP CHICKEN SERIOUSLY ILL

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mavis4, Feb 8, 2017.

1. mavis4

mavis4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2015
    Hi, so my Chicken was egg bound I believe on Saturday and he managed to pass the egg with my health. He was fine for a day or two and now she seems lathargic again. She's stood there all puffy with a very messy bum. She had Diahora and it seemed to have some blood on it ? What's wrong with her ? Will she be okay ? [​IMG][/IMG]

2. mavis4

mavis4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have a vet who could see her or test her droppings for worms, coccidiosis, and a gram stain for enteritis. Passing a shell-less egg like that, being egg bound, and her other symptoms sound like she may have salpingitis, which can lead to egg yolk peritonitis. Her diarrhea has bloody mucus and undigested feed in it which can be common in enteritis, an intestinal infection. Vets have the best antibiotics, so getting her droppings checked, and put on some antibiotics would be what I would do. Is she getting a layer feed with some extra calcium in crushed egg shells or oyster shell available to keep her egg shells hard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by