Help! Chicken sitting sick chickens!-long

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by adalau, Aug 5, 2013.

1. adalau

adalau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi Everybody! Thanks in advance for your valuable feedback.

I am helping to take care of my neighbor's 3 backyard chickens while they are out of the country for 3+ weeks. The first week I had them I solved their thin shell/shell-less eggs & egg eating problems thanks to BYC:) Thank you all very much!!! Then I went on vacation and someone else was caring for them. I'm back now & the chickens don't look so good:-/

Only one girl of three is laying. RIR #1 has white chalky discharge on her ears & her "voice" sounds a little gravelly to me, the feathers behind her comb look a little oily & her comb is a tiny bit floppy but she's had the floppy comb for a couple months. I am pretty sure she is the one still laying. She is kind of the alpha. RIR #2 has a little bald spot behind her comb, but no ear drainage & sounds ok. The third (an EE) doesn't have any obvious issues but she's seemed a little puffed up & irritated. She doesn't make any noise or have great big ear pads so I can't tell if she's congested/draining.

Things I'm concerned about: their run is pretty poopy. Their owners told me not to worry about cleaning. I think they didn't want to inconvenience us with chicken poop, but now I'm worried it might be making them sick. I did go & buy pine shavings & I've cleaned out their coop twice, once before I left and then yesterday when I got back. But I don't even know where to start or how to clean their run. It's pretty big too. So I've been trying to let them out into the yard to free range as much as possible. My other concern is that another neighbor two houses away just got A LOT of chickens about two months ago. He has over a dozen chickens as well as some quail in a space as small as the run for the three chickens I'm describing. And he has a paved yard:-( So I'm afraid these chickens have caught some weird disease from his flock.

What should I do? What do you think is wrong with the girls? Is there anything I can do for them? Should I be giving them garlic? Do I need to check them for parasites (ewwww, BTW). I am a city girl and have zero experience with chickens, but I really want to take good care of my charges.

The chicken owners are out of the country for another 4 days. I know they don't take the birds to the vet, they just Dr. them at home but they've rarely needed to do that. If I can alleviate the problem or hold the chickens over till they get home I would rather do that then make them worry about their sick chickens when they can't do anything about it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You all are really chicken life savers!

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you could post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries , cures forum and see what those folks come up with. You sound like a very responsible caretaker - your friends are lucky to have you.

6. adalau

adalau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks! I will repost to emergencies & I will add ACV to their water!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Hope someone can help you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by