HELP Chicken very lethargic post deworming treatment

Wolfgangcluck

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 20, 2017
Good morning friends. I need insight from those who have dealt with coccidiosis treatment. Recently my flock experienced coccidia. I know this because I noticed blood (not stomach lining shed) but blood in the droppings. I believe the culprit may have came from accumulated water on a perching spot, otherwise, they have well maintained drinking water. So, as I have so many questions regarding the aftermath of this beast, I'm especially needing urgent response because I've had several die and I have a highly loved creamed legbar that is not improving.

The creamed legbar has received a little more care under the veterinarian because she is THE FAMILY PET. I went to him explaining she has gurgling and coughing and on top of that everyone has coccidia. He gave her an injection of antibiotics (for the suspected respiratory problem). A one time deal, shot in the breast. He also sent home a dewormer for the flock. That medicine was panacur and albon.

Since her trip to the vet she improved! But, after I administered the dewormer for 5 days she went down hill! Let me say, before I gave the flock the vet prescribed dewormer I had everyone on a corid treatment. So her disposition now is lethargy, she has runny watery poop with dark green hard spots in it. I provided a poo pic that shows just a milky look.

Currently she is in the house doing her thing
I have her under close watch, she's staying warm. I'm giving her 1cc of poultry cell via syringe daily, she's eating plain Greek yogurt with cucumbers to help her gut.

What's going on here? Has she had just so much medication her gut is tore up?!?! She's also adjusting her crop a good bit. There's no way she could still have parasites. Does it just take a while for healing after coccidia does its damage. Also, does coccidia cause the gurgling and coughing, or do worms do that? Perhaps there was not a respiratory problem at all or they had both coccidia and a respiratory issue at the same time. Again, I've got to get this figured out, I can not lose my Pearl girl! Thanks

Did your vet run a fecal float test for worms and coccidia? It would have shown if there was a higher than normal count of both. If we know going in that there was a heavy worm load along with coccidia in higher than normal amounts, then we can expect to see some chickens in the flock have a problem with shock following worming.

If we do not have that information, then we should assume there was a heavy worm load and treat for shock and possibly impaction in the intestines. If too many worms are dying at once they aren't being absorbed quickly enough, they could be causing the crop to slow.

First thing to do is treat for shock with electrolyte water with an extra teaspoon of sugar. Or a teaspoon of sugar in one cup warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give it to her to drink today. Also give her probiotics to assist in digestion of those dying worms.

You might run this all by your vet. If she does have a heavy worm load causing these symptoms, she may need flushing out if all these worms keep clogging up her works.

Did your vet run a fecal float test for worms and coccidia? It would have shown if there was a higher than normal count of both. If we know going in that there was a heavy worm load along with coccidia in higher than normal amounts, then we can expect to see some chickens in the flock have a problem with shock following worming.

If we do not have that information, then we should assume there was a heavy worm load and treat for shock and possibly impaction in the intestines. If too many worms are dying at once they aren't being absorbed quickly enough, they could be causing the crop to slow.

First thing to do is treat for shock with electrolyte water with an extra teaspoon of sugar. Or a teaspoon of sugar in one cup warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give it to her to drink today. Also give her probiotics to assist in digestion of those dying worms.

You might run this all by your vet. If she does have a heavy worm load causing these symptoms, she may need flushing out if all these worms keep clogging up her works.
Thank you for your insight. Once I read this yesterday morning I immediately gave her the recommended electrolyte water. Since, I'm seeing more improvement. She's eating, drinking more, up and moving around, she's even a little more chatty. She still rests a good bit, but we let her be. Her poop is changing a bit now, to look more normal. It's less of a watery content but still very dark.
Unfortunately I did not opt for the fecal test when we took her in to the vet. I think I was just so confident that she had a parasite, I didn't think to see how bad it actually was. Should there be a next time, I will not skip this step.
When you say to give probiotics, do you think the plain yogurt is sufficient? She seems to really enjoy it.

The dark stool is from excreting the dead worms. It's a good sign she has passed them and is back to normal poop. Continue with the yogurt. It has very good microbes that will set her intestines back to normal. Continue with the electrolytes for one more day.

Good job!

Back
Top Bottom