help - chicken very weak, diahrrea.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jasonm11, Nov 19, 2010.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I have an 18m to 2yr old buff orington that has been sick for around two weeks. She was a motherly hen has not laid since I have had her (3 months) She is losing weight, seems to have greenish diahrrea. Getting weak and today would not get up to leave the coop. I have been treating the water with tetramyacin at aprox 5-600 mils for about a week. She seemed to get a little better but now is looking worse. The rest of the flock is fine, no one is pecking on her. No bugs that i can see. I really don't want to have to dispatch her but i'm pretty close to making the decision.

Jason

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What were you treating for, with the tetracycline? Have you treated her for cocci or worms? Have you checked for mites/lice, at night?

You've killed off her gut bacteria with the tetracycline, so at the least, you will need to replace it, preferably with probiotics -- yogurt or buttermilk are better than nothing but packaged probiotics are better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  3. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I was told by the guy i bought them from it would be worth a try. None of the other chickens seem to be having problems. Should i stop the meds and get some yogurt for them all? As i said No bugs that I can see. i have handled her and see no parasites.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The tetracycline could actually be causing more diarrhea. You need to check for lice/mites at night (they may be the kind that stay in the coop during the day) and you need to consider worming; you should ask whether they have been wormed. You need to read up on worming and cocci and lice/mites; she probably has at least one of them.

Don't give a lot of yogurt, maybe a teaspoon a day per bird, as they will get the live culture from it but cannot digest the milk product very well (they are lactose intolerant.)

Here is some reading for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402933

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=207133&p=2

Plenty more on here about all of them. And good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  5. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Thank you I will get to work.

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'll be offline a few hours but will check back, or someone else might well chime in, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by