We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Help!!! Chicken with a swollen face.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ValandChickens, Jul 19, 2019.

1. ValandChickens

ValandChickens In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2019
    Kemptville ONTARIO Canada
    Hi everyone!
    I am new here and looking forward to reading everything.
    I came home to a bit of a puzzle yesterday... I have 3 15 week old barred rocks, and a few silver grey dorking roos. One of my hens had a swollen face and wattles... absolutely no other symptoms. Appetite, drinking, pooping. No discharge anywhere, no coughing or sneezing. I felt her crop, normal.

I am PERPLEXED.
    I will call a vet if I have to, but want to see if others have experience similar.
    I have two rocks who have always had paler combs, but are darkening as they are aging.
    So hers being pale is not considered a symptoms. I will post two pictures of her, 12 hrs apart.
    And one of her next to another Hen.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome You'll find some very smart people on this forum. Sorry about your hens face! It's always a good idea to see a vet, but let me tag some experts for you. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony @DobieLover

Sequel, ValandChickens and Kris5902 like this.
  3. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    Any chance of a bee sting or bug bite? I had a similar thing happens to one of my Marans hens, her whole orbital area swole up significantly and stayed swollen for about 3 days. I treated with 1/4 or 1/2 (don’t recall exact dosage, but the tags RhodeIslandRed5 added will!) 25mg Benadryl tablets on advice given here and she recovered fine. My pics for reference/comparison, third is her sister w/o swelling 58CAA7C8-C4DC-47E4-A22D-D99136479117.jpeg 1E1D1AEA-0DAE-40DF-A360-11F8F3158924.jpeg 0521697B-287C-4059-91AD-54CEE271D272.jpeg

4. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I agree with @Kris5902.
    You can give a half dose of children's benedryl and see if it deflates any.

5. ValandChickens

Jul 19, 2019

6. ValandChickens

Jul 19, 2019
    Could be a possibility I suppose! My fingers are crossed that’s the problem. This is my first flock, everything makes me nervous lol!
    I love them and worry a lot.

Thank you!

7. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Do you have a lot of bees or other aggressive insects such as yellow jackets or wasps in your area? Supposing if your hen tried to go after one of those bugs, and the bug stung her in defense. I was stung by a yellow jacket years ago right in the joint of my finger. The swelling caused me not to be able to bend that finger for days.

No need to worry excessively, we'll help you figure this out! ;)

Sequel and Kris5902 like this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What does her poop look like?
    I understand about the pale comb, your Pullet is only 15 weeks old, she's not ready to lay eggs yet. Her face/wattle color is another story - it's yellow- grey looking instead of just pale.

To me both look to have a bit of swelling in the face. Have you looked inside the beak for any plaques/canker or lesions?
    Doesn't look like a bug bite to me - is her neck all the way down swollen or air filled?

upload_2019-7-19_15-11-57.png

9. ValandChickens

Jul 19, 2019

Thanks for writing! Her poop is 100% normal, I can get a picture if you’d like.

I see what you mean by the swelling, but I can promise the other Hen’s face isn’t, I will try posting new pictures shortly.

Her neck doesn’t feel swollen, feels like the others.
    She looked to have mild swelling there last night, not this AM though.

Beak and mouth are lesion or canker free!

What would cause cankers in chickens?

Sequel, Kris5902 and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, more photos may be helpful.
    Good that there's no lesions/canker - you ask what causes canker (Trichomoniasis/Trichomonosis) in chickens - it's a protozoa - easily spread through shared drinking water/ feed stations.

Her color is concerning. I understand you mention she's pale, but that color of "pale" is not normal even for a pullet.

What do you feed and how long have you been feeding it?

Sequel, Kris5902 and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: