1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! chicken with deformed leg, from birth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Butterflybird, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Butterflybird

Butterflybird New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    This chicken has had a deformed leg since she hatched earlier this year, and she used to get along ok, but we found her lying in the mud today, and her leg looked even weirder than usual, twisted out to the side, ( can a deformed leg get dislocated?) My parents and older sister think we should put her out of her misery, but I want to know all the options first. I guess I feel a weird attachment to her as she hatched in my hand (by accident) and I was the first thing she ever touched. Any ideas would be great, as well as success stories to convince my peeps to give her another chance, I'm desperate. :fl
    Thanks
    Butterflybird and Gus (we thought she was a boy)

2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Well, aside from trying to splint it, I don't really have any idea. :( I'm sorry you are dealing with this though. My biggest recommendation would be to separate her until you figure out what to do.....chickens have a "gang" mentality and will pick relentlessly at one who is "down."

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    A picture would definitely help! You can also create many different "casts" for chicks out of toilet paper rolls (trim pieces to form "splint") and small pieces of athletic tape or band aids. :)

Not sure how dedicated you are, but I'm sure you could fashion something for her!

MrsB

4. Butterflybird

Butterflybird New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    Sorry, i cant get a picture on, couldn't upload it, but its as though her lower leg was put on upside down, with the sole facing into her chest and the elbow joint is overlapping rather than joined, because of this it can't move . It it set as she is about 5 months old, it was never moveable and couldn't be splinted. Now it stretched out to the side and is very red around the wrongly placed joint.

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Ouch. :( Poor baby.

I'm going to have to let someone more experienced help you with this. Sorry! Try searching for help with chick with broken leg at the top of the forum in the Search bar.

Good luck!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by