HELP Chicken with hurt toe!! BLEEDING!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shellybean40, May 15, 2010.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I noticed my 9 week old Cochin was limping this morning. She has what appears to be a broken toenail. it is bleeding and I cleaned it with soap and water, hydrogen peroxide, and put antibiotic ointment on it. It will not stop bleeding-any suggestions??

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I seem to notice a pattern of very few responses to my questions. I wonder if it is because there is not a little yellow chick by my posts?

3. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Put flour or corn meal, etc... on it, it will act as a bandaid. I would be very careful with the peroxide as it can damage tissue if to strong or used to often. Toenails generally heal fine, they just look nasty for a while. Good luck

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I agree corn starch or flour will stop the bleeding after that she should be fine...

5. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Thanks so much for your responses. I really appreciate it. This is our first injury and she is one of our favorites. Have a great day!

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    And please do not think that folks are trying to ingore you ... Its just that this site is soo busy that posts get hidden quickly.... And i think the reason you arent seeing the lil yellow chick is because you made the post, i think they are to show a new thread or new post.....

7. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I can't wait until I am experienced enough to help newbies on this board!! Thanks for all of your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by