Help chicken with messed up leg!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Geordonbuck223, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Geordonbuck223

Geordonbuck223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    I got a silver laced Wyandotte about 2 months ago and I have noticed that her legs have been always a little bit weak but I thought they would just get stronger frlm roosting then I wrnt out to my coop yesterday and she couldn't walk very well. Today she couldn't walk and her one leg was sticking straight out she can't even stand up! What do you guys think it is how could I fix this?!? I'll post pictures of her. I have separated her from the flock.

2. Geordonbuck223

Jul 7, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Geordonbuck223

Jul 7, 2011
    Anyone?

4. Sarah42

Sarah42 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2015
    Could you post a picture of the legs, like if you turned her on her side or back? I once had a chick whose legs gave out from under her and were basically useless afterwards. Try to keep moving the legs since, as they are not being used, the muscles will start to die. Once the muscle dies, there is no re-growing muscle cells.

5. Sarah42

Sarah42 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2015
    Also, there is a thread on BYC called "Leg paralysis in hen- sudden onset" and it already has a lot of ideas on what could be the problem and how to treat it. You might want to look it up for possible ideas :)

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that Mareks disease may be a possibility. Vitamins in her water would be something that I would try, while observing her, in case it could be vitamin deficiency. Are her wings working okay?

7. Geordonbuck223

Jul 7, 2011
    Her wings seem a little weaker? Where would I get vitamins?!?

8. Geordonbuck223

Jul 7, 2011
    I think she more uses her wings to keep balance! But could you give me brand name vitamins and where I can get them please

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most farm stores will different brands such as Rooster Booster and others. I would avoid poultry Nutri-drench since it lacks riboflavin. Until you get them, human BComplex or PolyVisol without iron wouild bea good substitute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by