Help! Chicken with red tummy / swollen abdomen

mystic_chickens

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2018
We need help for our hen Ophelia. She's a classic laying hen, part of a flock of 6. We feed them ~90% layers pellets with occasional scraps and crack. Water and food always available, and we run garlic and apple cider in the water every second fill. The flock free range for ~3hrs a day, and have a large run to enjoy.

IMAG1110.jpg

Since we got her 4 months ago at point of lay, she's only laid a handful of times. She goes most days to the egg box and strains and strains (loves sitting on the others' eggs), but mostly to no avail. There was maybe a week there where she laid three or four times - perfect eggs. But then she stopped again. We've often noticed that compared to the others her feathers always look a bit scruffy and unkempt. Her stomach has been red for a long time, but just recently it's started to swell. There's also signs she's been picking at her feathers (that's been so for a while too):

IMAG1112.jpg

I've read through tons of forums on this and have considered the possibilities: ascites from a weak heart or failed liver, impacted egg etc. But none of them seem to fit as apart from the non-laying and red tummy, she has no other symptoms. She shows no sign of illness, still scratches around and eats and poops like her healthy companions. I'm beginning to get worried now it's now looking so inflamed. It's quite squishy, but firmer than you might think. Here's a picture of her vent, which seems fine but a little stretched from the inflammation:

IMAG1115.jpg

Any help please!!

We need help for our hen Ophelia. She's a classic laying hen, part of a flock of 6. We feed them ~90% layers pellets with occasional scraps and crack. Water and food always available, and we run garlic and apple cider in the water every second fill. The flock free range for ~3hrs a day, and have a large run to enjoy.

View attachment 1511713

Since we got her 4 months ago at point of lay, she's only laid a handful of times. She goes most days to the egg box and strains and strains (loves sitting on the others' eggs), but mostly to no avail. There was maybe a week there where she laid three or four times - perfect eggs. But then she stopped again. We've often noticed that compared to the others her feathers always look a bit scruffy and unkempt. Her stomach has been red for a long time, but just recently it's started to swell. There's also signs she's been picking at her feathers (that's been so for a while too):

View attachment 1511719
I've read through tons of forums on this and have considered the possibilities: ascites from a weak heart or failed liver, impacted egg etc. But none of them seem to fit as apart from the non-laying and red tummy, she has no other symptoms. She shows no sign of illness, still scratches around and eats and poops like her healthy companions. I'm beginning to get worried now it's now looking so inflamed. It's quite squishy, but firmer than you might think. Here's a picture of her vent, which seems fine but a little stretched from the inflammation:

View attachment 1511721

Any help please!!
@Eggcessive

An enlarged lower belly can be a sign of reproductive disorders such as cancer, internal laying, false layer, salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites. Ascites is associated with heart failure or liver failure, and may be seen in repro diseases. She may be pecking her own festhers due to discomfort or lice/mites, so I would give her a look around her vent and elsewhere for parasites.

Make sure that she is eating her layer feed and has crushed oyster shell available. My hens love crushed egg shells as well. Check her for a stuck egg by inserting a finger into her vent 1-2 inches. Shell-less eggs are harder to pass, and hens can become egg bound easier. Here is some reading:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/false-layer-poultry

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/internal-layer-poultry

Thanks very much @Eggcessive ! Now you mention it we did have mites a few weeks back, and dealt with it with DE. They seem (mostly) gone. So she might have plucked the feathers because of that. I'll keep an eye out for more.

The false layer description resonates with her behaviour - often in the egg box 'laying' and pushing hard, but no egg.

Would you recommend any specific treatment or diet? Or just keep an eye out and wait and see? There is oyster shell available, but I'll be sure to put lots of egg shells back in.

I have had a couple of false layers in the past. I don’t know of any treatment. DE will not treat an outgreak of mites or lice. I would get some Permethrin spray and follow mixing instructions for chickens on the label. Mites require treatment at 7 day intervals, followed by coop cleaning/spraying. Here is a good link about mites and lice:
https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Thanks Eggcessive. I meant lice not mites! But I'll check the coop all the same, and will get some Permethrin spray for either. Cheers. Let's hope Ophelia can sort herself out...

my RR has a tummy that is red and warm, she frequently has soft shell eggs. she has had a bit of white butt I think is yeast so I was giving her some crushed up metronidazole pills I had left over and she got tremendously better and even started laying harder eggs but I think I stopped too short because she reverted back so I think i'll do it again, her tummy looked similar to your girl's though

Back
Top Bottom