HELP! Chicken With Ripped Wattle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Jan 21, 2012.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My top of the pecking order Australorp, Pearl, was the most brutal ruler of the flock. She would not only charge and attack me like a mean rooster, drawing blood from me, but was ripping all the girls combs to the point of them losing the tips.

I got so sick of her behavior that I got her sporting "Pinless Peepers". Ah...peace at last! Well, she has been sporting these things for 4 months and today I thought I might try giving her "parole" from them and take them off.

After removing the peepers and turning her loose, I noticed the second in command bird challenging her with posture and her eyes. I didn't give it much thought as I figured Pearl will rise up to the challenge and I would be putting these peepers right back on. So I walked away.

About an hour later, I go to check on them and Pearl is in the nest box and I see that her wattle is ripped. She obviously has lost her position. The other bird has a few tiny scratches on her ear lobe.

So I applied some Blu-Kote to her wattle. And wow, judging from the color of my fingers, her wattle is going to be purple for a very LOONNNGGG time!

This brings me to my questions....Do I need to do something with that flap of wattle that is hanging or will it dry up and fall off, possibly heal? How often do I need to apply the Blu-Kote as I can not longer see the color of her skin and judge as to it healing what with all the purple color.

And lastly, can I eat her eggs being that Blu-kote is a antifungal, antibacterial.

Thanks all!

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow! My australorp is so even tempered; I can't imagine a bullyish one. The eggs won't be an issue -never heard of a withdrawl w/bluekote. If I had the gumption (which I don't), I'd probably clip that piece of wattle off, just because I'd worry about it being a future target. I doubt it will fall off...looks like it will heal up and just stay sectioned like that. As you suggested, I'd keep it purple/blue until most of the redness/blood is gone so it doesn't attract others...I'd think within a week or so it'd look the same color as the rest of the wattle.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thank you soooo much! I really do not have the courage to cut that thing off either. But I didn't want it to get gangrious. (sp) I don't think the others are going to bother it, as I was just out checking on her and she is back to being a bit aggressive with the others. I am just going to leave it the way it is and hope it heals up ok.

I was surprised that she, being an Aussie is that aggressive also. She had AE as a baby (3 days old) and was behind the others in growth for several months. So that may have affected her brain. [​IMG] But I still love her just the same and will keep her til the end. Even if she does go back to biting me!!

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by