Help, chicken with sore or broken foot/leg

Eggspresso21

Hatching
Nov 16, 2019
Hi we are a first time chicken owners and have 3 lovely silkie chickens. The other day one got under my feet and I stepped on her foot. Shes been limping/hopping and dragging her foot ever since. I feel terrible about it. She got on with it to start with but think its getting her down now and the other 2 are leaving her behind.
What can I do to help?
Can I splint it? Can I give her a low dose of ibuprofen to help with the pain.
We dont have any experienced vets nearby and I dont want to travel miles and pay a fortune if there is something I could do at home.
I'm in the uk.
Thanks for any advice from you experienced lot. Xx

Its hard to get a pic with her feathery legs and I dont think its obviously swollen. Heres a few pics /video

Attachments

• 20191116_104840.jpg
    20191116_104840.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 11
  • 20191116_104905.jpg
    20191116_104905.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20191116_104941.jpg
    20191116_104941.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 11
Hi and :welcome Your silkies are super cute! I would give her the asprin as mentioned and maybe limit activity a bit. Chickens can heal from a lot of injuries with just supportive care. My silkie broke a toe and I never knew it until I did a foot check on everyone. Your girl looks perky and healthy,just keep a close eye on it for any changes and I think she will be fine.:hugs

Thanks very much for your replies. We have given her some aspirin and decided to fetch her in the house in a box or straw for a few hours a day so she can rest her leg. Now I've had a better look it's her leg that looks swollen.
The other 2 girls are wondering where shes gone thou, one was really shouting before. Will they accept her back ok if shes away from them for a while, dont want them to pick on her xx

If it's any comfort, I had my buff orphington injure her leg and she did that sort of loping action in your video. It went on for a good two weeks and I was very concerned. But she ended up just self resting in the run and she's all good now

My take away from it was make sure the leg or foot is not broken. If not, it's probably just bruised or sprained and it's okay just to let it heal itself.

My chicken was laying, eating and drinking as normal besides the limp so I didn't bother with the aspirn trick. I think if it's acting normal, then she'll be okay.

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom