HELP CHICKEN WITH YELLOW GOO COMING OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Baby Chick, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Baby Chick

Baby Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    HELP MY WHITE LEGHORN HAS GOO COMING OUT OF HER!!!!!!!!!!! sHE WAS SITTING DOWN WHICH SHE NEVER DOES & I PICKED HER UP TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG & YELLOWY GOO IS COMING OUT OF HER BUTT OR HER VENT I CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE! IT LOOKS LIKE THE STUFF INSIDE THE EGG ALL MIXED TOGETHER & ITS REALLY WEIRD & I NEED HELP NOOOOOOW!!!! i'M SO SCARED!

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hi! How old is your leghorn? Has she been laying eggs? Could be a shell-less egg, or could be related to internal laying if she hasn't been laying. Has she been ok until today? Red comb?

3. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Is there any blood? If she has been laying, it could be that she is egg bound.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Don't panic!! First her vent IS the same thing as her butt! If the stuff coming out really looks like it's all mixed up raw egg - then she probably was trying to lay a shell-less egg or softshelled egg - that broke. How old is she?? as things like this seem to happen more often when they're first starting to lay. If that is the case, be sure to give your girls a calcium supplement - like crushed oyster shell - to eat as they want. Keep a good eye on her for awhile for any signs of infection (tired, not eating, swollen red belly, etc.). I did see a post on here recently by dawg53 about a wash you could do to her - kinda like a chicken douche with vinegar and water! Do a search for his posts and vinegar. It was during the last week. It was a new idea to me, but sounded like a GREAT idea!

5. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't know. Look it up on google.

6. Baby Chick

Baby Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Ok ummm she is 2 years old, yes she has been laying, also when I took a look at her a little more I found a bug on her if that helps. Oh & she isn't eating or moving she can walk but she just doesn't want to move. What does this mean?

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Do you have penicillin and if so, do you know how to give an injection to your bird?

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Here's the post klmclain1 mentioned above, that gives directions how how to treat a hen if an egg has broken inside her - from what you describe it sounds like what happened to your hen. If you don't flush it out, it can become infected. Good luck to you and your hen.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/637030/sick-chcken

9. hannah97

hannah97 New Egg

Sep 12, 2015
    Hi, did you end up finding out what was happening to your chook? The same thing is happening to my silkie...

10. Qualara

Qualara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    Look at the post above, there is a link about what you need to do if your hen has an egg brake inside her. You need to work quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by