Help! chicken without water or food for at least 10 days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animalgirl2010, Jul 4, 2008.

1. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    I had to move all my chickens to a different coop about a week and a half ago. I had no clue how many I had so when I caught 20 I thought that was about right. Well today I was working in the yard and kept hearing a faint little cluck and looked everywhere finally I found a hen stuck under a rabbit nest box that was in behind our rabbit pens I had to climb behind them there was no way I would have been able to see her or find her if she had not have made noise today. Anyway she is really lost alot of weight and is dehydrated but walking a short distance ok. I am giving her gatorade and baby bird formula and she is eating and drinking well. Is there anything else that I should do to help her get back to normal? thanks in advance

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    keep her warm, she may be cold, and I think to probably not let her gorge on food at first, it could give her diarhea

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Dehydration is the main problem here.... Put electrolytes in waterer... you are doing the right thing by giving a fluid form of feed at the moment.

4. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Thanks! I have her seperated in a cage for the time she is much more active this morning and is walking around alot more. She just feels so skinny I hope she can make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by