*HELP* Chicken Won't Leave Coop After Having Upper Respiratory Infection?

Barbital

Hatching
Nov 11, 2018
This flock is my first flock ever, I have 4 beautiful EE hens and they're around the age of 5 months old. One of my chickens had trouble breathing, you could hear her breathing it was really bad but we took her to the vet and the vet said that she had an URI, and they gave us medicine to help. Her breathing did improve, we separated them for about a week and then put them together when she felt better. It's been about 3-4 weeks since then, and she doesn't like coming out of the coop anymore since it started to snow. I don't think it's too cold out yet, the others are running around in the snow right now, but she still prefers to stay in the coop. Also her comb is redder than the others, which are all still a pale pinkish color. She is eating and drinking and pooping though. I'm really worried that she's still sick and I, as a huge animal lover, don't want to have to put her down, or have her suffer. Is there something wrong with her or does she just not like the snow? Maybe the chickens just aren't getting along? Should I take her back to the vet?

Welcome to BYC. It does not sound as if there is an immediate emergency with her. I would just keep my eye on her. Eating, drinking, pooping, really red comb - sounds as if all is well with her.

Welcome to BYC. It does not sound as if there is an immediate emergency with her. I would just keep my eye on her. Eating, drinking, pooping, really red comb - sounds as if all is well with her.
Thank you for somewhat putting my nerves at ease. I'll keep a close eye on her as you suggested!

:welcome
Glad you joined our flock! We are sure you'll love it here, so pull up a roost!

She sounds like she is in just a bit of recovery stage. Just watch her and make sure that she is eating and drinking okay. Once she is out of the recovery time, your chook should be fine!

5 months old. One of my chickens had trouble breathing, you could hear her breathing it was really bad but we took her to the vet and the vet said that she had an URI, and they gave us medicine to help. Her breathing did improve, we separated them for about a week and then put them together when she felt better. It's been about 3-4 weeks since then, and she doesn't like coming out of the coop anymore since it started to snow.
Do you have photos of her, your coop and run?

Her red comb says shes about to lay soon. I have new gals every year who have never seen snow, and they balk at going out in it. I just grab them up and stick them in it. I do sweep paths for them if its more than a skiff. As long as she seems to be well from the illness, she should be fine. Her separation while ill prolly made her a bit hinky about everything ..... Make sure she can get back in the coop when she wants to, sometimes they r wiser than us and know when they need a certain circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom