Help. Chicken won't stand correctly. Little white foam on mouth. Just out of it

jamesbender

Hatching
Mar 4, 2016
I noticed a hen of mine. Isa brown, is acting different. Stands in one area, I can approach and she doesn't do anything, pick her up, no struggle. I put her back in Coop and she falls forward. Some of my hens are molting, and I just added 2 older isa browns, who are doing well (I kept them isolated for 3 weeks). They all went through new pecking order.

I've removed her, she looks healthy, comb is ok, feathers are full. I washed her up and put her inside and gave her an exam (I'm not a farmer, so just looked her over). She has some hardened quills (suspect from molting) between her wing and back, and what looked like some loss of feathers. I pulled back some more and discovered an enlarged bump above her right windlg, behind her throat leaning to the right side of her spine.

I don't know what to do. I am watching her and she keeps lifting her beak upwards, kindve like a gap reflex of trying to swallow. Beak has white foamy substance.

Hel if you can!
Jb

She has airsaculitis, most likely. There could be an underlying cause. She needs antibiotics, right now. Look at the feed store for injectible Tylan, and ask them how to use it. Keep her separate from the others, but preferably where she can still hear and/ or see them. She needs warmth and privacy too. There are other antibiotics available at feed stores, you can ask them what to use, some are water soluble. Baytril is another very good one, but I think it's a little over used, and you have to order it online. Still, it's very powerful. If you get a water soluble antibiotic, it might not be a bad idea to put the whole flock on it for a week. Oxytet would be my choice, if you can't find Tylan or Baytril. You can get Oxytet at feed stores. Don't delay, this is an emergency, if you want to save her, and the others, too.

You can use Tylan 50 on chickens. For an adult standard chicken, I believe it's .25ml injected into the meaty part of the breast. It's a pretty thick medication, so I use (if I remember correctly) a 20 gauge, 1/4" needle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the dosage!!

MrsB

You can use Tylan 50 on chickens. For an adult standard chicken, I believe it's .25ml injected into the meaty part of the breast. It's a pretty thick medication, so I use (if I remember correctly) a 20 gauge, 1/4" needle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the dosage!!

MrsB

This is a good topic... Elanco, the makers of Tylan, say that when using the powder that one must give chickens 50 mg per pound per day and turkeys get 60 mg per pound All vet books I have read say something a little different, but the amounts are pretty close to the powder instructions.

I used it once by injection and it caused a nasty injection site reaction.

-Kathy

This is a good topic... Elanco, the makers of Tylan, say that when using the powder that one must give chickens 50 mg per pound per day and turkeys get 60 mg per pound All vet books I have read say something a little different, but the amounts are pretty close to the powder instructions.

I used it once by injection and it caused a nasty injection site reaction.

-Kathy

That is interesting... I used it once with no reaction! We ended up putting the chicken down, on an unrelated side note.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom