HELP CHICKENS AND DUCKS ATTACKED BY DOG

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjhubbs, Dec 11, 2013.

1. cjhubbs

cjhubbs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    A dog just attacked our flock of chickens and ducks a little less then a half hour ago. We called the police and the dog has been apprehended. However most of the flock was killed but one of my baby ducklings survived but was bit and is bleeding. I was wondering what I should do to take care of the duckling? I will post pictures asap! Thanks so much, and sorry if I sound a little frazzled.

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I am sorry for the attack glad the dog was caught. Post pics of the injuries, clean the wounds. I'd start wiith water. and cloth to see the problem. (cooled boiled water if no sterile water) There are some very knowledgeable people on here that will give you advice on how to treat the injuries.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Clean the injuries with some warm (but not hot) water. Then, apply some antibiotic ointment without any painkillers or "caine" ingredients in it. Keep the duckling isolated from any other birds and make sure that it eats and drinks. Adding electrolytes to the water will help with any stress that it has experienced. If you begin to see signs of infection, like discoloration, heat, or a smell, get antibiotics.

4. cjhubbs

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    Well unfortunately I had to put the duck down a little less then an hour ago because she received a lot of internal injuries from the dog biting and shaking her. Thank you all for your kind advice and help!

5. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Sorry for all your losses, I am still rather reluctant to give others advice on treatment of their animals. If I am to be of any help to others I will need to get over that or at least point them to the other posts in the forum. At least they caught the dog and hopefully be able to have the owner make restitution for the loss.

6. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your flock :( Have they found the owners of the dog? Have the police or animal control told you what they might be doing about it?

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What an awful way to lose your flock. So sorry for your loss.

8. cjhubbs

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    Yes luckily they were able to find the owners of the dog in a couple of hours. She has agreed to pay for the vet expenses (she payed to have the duck checked out by a local vet) and will be paying us the value of all the birds killed which totals $103. We originally had 13 birds in our coop including 2 ducks and now we are down to 5 birds. One of the best pieces of news is that my pair of rare Light Sussex' have survived however at the moment all the birds are in shock and the hen is showing concerning signs of being hurt although I checked her over for external injuries and can find none. I will try and posts some pictures in a little while, I would have earlier but today has been a whirlwind. So heres to hoping that my Light Sussex hen survives because if she doesn't then my breeding plan will be put back a year :/, added cost to buying hatching eggs, and the dog owner will have to pay for her loss as well and I have no idea how to estimate her value, with Light sussex's being relatively hard to find in the United States. Thank you all for your kind words and condolences.

9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Glad they found the owner and she agreed to pay. I hope your sussex hen survives!

10. cjhubbs

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    I had to bring the L.S (Light Sussex) Hen inside this morning. She is not doing well at all. It appears she got nipped on the back of the head and on her rear; however, thank goodness that she is a big and fluffy bird because it appears that it may have actually saved her life. At the moment I have brought her into the house and lied her on a towel in a small crate; she is acting lethargic and isn't making any sound at all besides breathing. The goodnews is that it appears that if she has internal injuries they are not have the level of internal injuries that my duck had because the duck had blood pouring out her mouth while the hen does not. She also does not seem to have much interest in picking at water or food. I have treated her with antibiotics from the vet, at the dog owners expense, and force fed her 1/2 an once of water with crushed aspirin added. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for helping her? I know I keep saying I will post pics and I definitely will today. So heres to a fighting chance. Thank you all so much for the help.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by