Help!! Chickens are picky and not eating

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by starfish35, Jan 12, 2011.

1. starfish35

starfish35 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2010
    It's winter time and I'm having a hard time finding food that the chickens like. They don't seem to want to eat the pellets cause there big. The crumbles they peck and walk way. They have no desire to eat. One hen is very skinny and it's scaring me. I don't know what else to try and and don't know what else to give to kinda plump her back up. HELP PLEASE!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:My first thought was, too much scratch or corn. They will act this way if they get more than a very small amount as a treat. Corn is like candy to chickens. Chickens will eat crumbles or pellets when they get hungry enough -- if they don't have a feeder full of corn available.

If that's not it, I would consider worming or treating for cocci. You didn't say where you are or how old they are.

3. starfish35

Sep 7, 2010
    I live in Michigan and there about 2 years old. I have three hens and a rooster. Yes, I must be giving to much scratch but because they were not interested in eating I started to give more scratch cause they would eat it. When I come outside, they come running thinking I'm giving them food and when I do...they take a few bites and walk away. Corn bread, oatmeal, potatoes, celery, carrots...it doesn't matter what it is...they hardly eat. I don't know what to do without feeling like they are starving!!

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    When was the last time they were wormed?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My first thought was, too much scratch or corn. They will act this way if they get more than a very small amount as a treat. Corn is like candy to chickens. Chickens will eat crumbles or pellets when they get hungry enough -- if they don't have a feeder full of corn available.

If that's not it, I would consider worming or treating for cocci. You didn't say where you are or how old they are.

Agree, 100%

6. starfish35

Sep 7, 2010
    Well these chickens were my brothers and they have never been wormed!!! Is this something I do, or do I take them to the vet? OMG!! this is horrible. Poor things!!!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The chickens are like spoiled kids. They will indeed prefer scratch (think McDonald's happy meal) to their nutrient laden pellets.
    Take the worming out of the equation by treatment. Then, forget it. They will eat the pellets. A normal chicken caves after a day or two.
    (Likely, also, the re-homing of them from your brother has had some effect, if they were re-located). They get over that too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by