help chickens are sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doublejfarm, Jun 6, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I have one roo four adult hens and three pullets. Of these birds the pullets and one of the adult hens are new. I am new to chickens so please help me out. When I brought the new birds home I noticed weird noises from them. It sounds like coughing ind wheezing. Now all of mybirds are doing it. They aren't laying as much either. WHAT DO I DO???

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry you had to learn the hard way to always quarantine new birds for at least 30 days. Tylan is used for respiratory ailments in birds. It comes as an injection or water soluble version. I'd get some quick.

3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    It sounds like you have a respiratory infection.

Respiratory Illness

See here for comprehensive information from the University of Florida regarding respiratory illness in poultry. This site from the American Poultry Association also provides information on respiratory illness in poultry.

Oxine – without activator! Use as disinfectant or in humidifier/fogger to treat respiratory illness. Use to clean coop surfaces after pest infestations such as mites and lice. Add to water to discourage slime growth. Can be used with activator to thoroughly disinfect EMPTY animal houses (do NOT use activated Oxine around animals). See this link for more.

Humidifier or fogger – for treating respiratory illness with Oxine.

Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) – broad spectrum antibiotics for use in chickens and other livestock. See the drug label information for dosage and usage information. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

Tylan 50 – labeled for cattle or swine – use to treat bacterial respiratory infections such as coryza or mycoplasma. Dosage is 1/2 – 1 cc per chicken. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

4. doublejfarm

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Thank you all so much. Can I get the meds. at a feed store or do I need to consult a vet. How long before they will be better?

5. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    You should be able to get either of those meds at the feed store. If you want to try the Oxine AH, you would have to contact a janitorial or HVAC supplier or order it online from a veterinary supplier such as Revival Animal Health.

6. doublejfarm

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Cool thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by