HELP! CHICKENS ATTACKED LAST NIGHT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunnyweller, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunnyweller

sunnyweller New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    I went to my coop this morning to find 8 hens & 1 roosters attacked. The coop has chicken wire on the walls, ceiling and doors. They all had neck injuries but I didn't see puncture wounds. None of them were eaten. One of my girls necks was almost snapped off! I love my chickens. What happened? Please help. I have been crying all morning because I feel like I let my girls & my rooster down. Its my job to feed & protect them.

PLEASE HELP!!
    Sunny

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    What are their symptoms? You can't see any bite marks? The chicken wire should be replaced with 1/4" hardware cloth. The openings in chicken wire are too large and smaller predators can fit through them.

3. sunnyweller

sunnyweller New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    I had one hen with her head almost detached because her neck was snapped in half. The rest seemed to have missing chunks from their necks, but there really wasnt any blood on the floor. The bottom 4 feet of the coop has the 1/4" mesh. Should I do more? Higher?

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

The symptoms sound like the nasty nips from a norway rat. The most common rat around. If the birds are roosting up off the floor,the norway won't bother them. If birds don't roost they stand a chance of being nipped. Most of the time around the head and neck area. If the chicken is feisty and corners a rat I have seen severely bitten combs and wattles. If the birds roost up off the floor I am at a loss due to the individual birds getting bitten and not killed. I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and my geographical location the predator list changes a lot.
    Best of luck... Oh yeah, if you find that the feed dishes are almost wiped clean by morning and there was feed the night before then it may be rats... Kick some Butt

5. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I would say racoon maybe? I had a racoon attack last year that took out 4 of my hens..ripped their heads off 2 of them through the wire, and the other 2 had broken necks.. I had 6ft high fencing with no top...sense then i put netting over the top Nd havnt had a problem.
    Hope you find out what did it! Im sure it'll come back..so be prepared!!

6. sunnyweller

sunnyweller New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    I am going to put out poison tonight. Not where my chickens or barn cat can get it. Its called Golden Malrin. Apparently it is for flies, but if you mix 3/4 of a small bowl with a coke, raccoons, weasels, rats, etc cannot resist it. I am sorry to the people that want a more humane solution, but I truly love my chickens. My husband thinks I am gonna sit out there with my shotgun tonight. LOL. I wont but I have to kill whatever is killing my girls. Whatever it is, I cant take the chance of it hurting my 3 boys, ages 7, 5, & 4 months or killing any more of my chickens or my other livestock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by