Help! Chickens attacked my 12 wk old guinea...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LivingFate, Jan 22, 2009.

1. LivingFate

LivingFate Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    I moved my baby guinea that I've had in my basement this whole time yesterday- he's about 12 wks old. Checked on him today was fine, I must not have closed to door well that divided him to the rest of the chicken flock because I just went in to check on him and the chickens were out in the run he was in the coop divider open and they pecked him bloody- I don't have the stomach for this so- so far from what I can see without really inspecting him his whole neck that leads to his back is plucked to the tendon I am assuming? Maybe bone? No feathers, no flesh just two white strips ontop whether it be bone or tendons.

He is still alive, I brought him back indoors and put him under the heat lamp with some food and water. The cameras in the babies room where he's sleeping right now so I can't take any pics.

Help!!! I feel so sick. Is there anything I can do????

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  3. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    Is it ok to peroxide where the meats gone? Wont that REALLY hurt?

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

NO PEROXIDE. Iodine or Betiodine. You can also was him/her with baby soap.

5. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    What are the odds of him pulling through?

6. katrinag

Can you post a pic? If you offer supportive care the is a good chance.

7. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    Ok I had to work so didn't have time to go to a farm store, the guinea is still alive, thak god. What I do have is neosporin w/pain relever-sp, peroxide, and iodine tincture at home.

The iodine tincture is 2% -has iodine 2%, alcohol 47% by volume, deionized water, sodium iodine 2.4%- Can I use this? Do I dulute it? Do I just pour some on or try to find a spray bottle?

8. katrinag

Not sure is you can use it as or not. I usually poor or dab it on. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

9. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Quote:Ack1 NO pain relievers in the neosporin. Lydocaine (sp?) and anything with a 'caine' is toxic to birds. At least this is what I have read. Use only plain antibiotic ointment.
    Poor baby, I hope he can survive. There was a case of a chick with its head pecked to the skull bone a week or so ago. Last I heard, it was thriving with some TLC from the owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by