HELP! Chickens dieing and sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Freya, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    We have chickens that are about 5 months old, we got them in August. In October we got baby silkie chicks from some people. Not too long after we got them, one just died and at the same time another seemed to play opposom. I thought it was dead but it got up, went down again and got back up and has been fine. This past Thursday night, another chick was dead and one went missing. We found the missing one dead in to coop the next afternoon. Don't know how it got there because it was there running around when my son went to take care of the chickens that night and when he went to grab the chicks to bring them in for the night it was missing. We searched everywhere and I searched all morning yesterday in the coop around the property 4-5 times and didn't find him until around 3 pm dead in the coop.

Yesterday I noticed that one of our older chickens (5 month old one) had it's head shrugged down, like it's shoulders were up and had no neck. It's face was up. It was walking around and eatting and drinking fine and sitting on perches. This morning my son came in with this chicken and said it couldn't stand up. I took it out side and set it down in the grass and while I was still supporting it, it put one foot down but held the other up. I thought it's leg was injured but then it put the foot down and I could feel it using the muscles in it's leg, but it was very unsteady and didn't move.

I put it in a cage and in our basement under the heater thinking maybe it's cold, but I don't know. It's able to stand, but it's holding it's head down and wont open it's eyes. It's head slowly lowers and then it jerks it back up like someone sleeping.

HELP! I don't know what to do or what is wrong. I'm losing my chickens. I just wanna cry.

I did notice yesterday, I took my last silkie chick inside (who looks completely healthy) and gave it a bath because it was disgusting and noticed it had fleas or mites or something. Could that be the problem?

2. Romochickencrazy

Romochickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm sorry for your losses & wish I had lot's of helpful info to offer. However I just wanted to say that it could very well be mites. Treat them with Sevin dust powder. It may help you with your problem. Good luck & hope someone else can offer you more help.

MLR from PA

3. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    We're going to go get some. Will the mites kill the chickens like this?

4. Romochickencrazy

Mites do feed on the chickens blood so can make them weak. Can not say yes or no if they can cause death but I had a hen that had mites over the summer & took a lot out of her trying to get rid of them. I did end up losing her but I can not say for sure if it was because of the mites.

[​IMG] Another question I have for you though: Have you seen blood in the stool of the hens that have gotten sick? Could be a parasite called "protozoan" or better known as coccidiosis. Particularly found in young chicks. symptoms to look for: Feces flecked with blood, chicks huddled up with ruffled feathers, & lack of interest in eating & drinking. If you do see this & suspect it could be this call your veterinarian & have them check a sample of feces.

Good Luck... Hope this helps some. [​IMG]

Someone else had posted this helpful link:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. Romochickencrazy

[​IMG] Just Stopping by to see how you're making out. Hope you were able to turn things around. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by