HELP! CHICKENS EATING EGGS

dogsrockx2

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
My chickens are eating their own eggs and it seems to occur right after they lay them. I tried filling eggs with yellow mustard but one of the chickens ended up liking it. Please help! ASAP

Naughty chooks. Try filling the eggs w/ spicy mustard. I'd also put a bunch of golf balls or plastic eggs (Easter Eggs can be had for cheep right now) in their eggs to fool them.

And try to collect eggs throughout the day right after they lay them.

They may be craving protein so maybe a high protein snack is also in order. Scrambled egg is great for hens. It's in a different enough of a form that they won't associate it w/ their eggs.

Eating eggs is a sign of an imbalance in diet.

usually they are craving the calcium in the shells.

Make shure you have a good supply of 16% or better protein layer feed, and provide free access oyster shell. (grit also)

I filled eggs with dijon mustard and they stayed away...I just put plastic eggs and they are pecking at them confused lol. I will pick up some oyster shells soon when i get more bedding. I went in this morning and there were 2 eggs that were completely intact so I think they're catching on. Thanks for your suggestions!

Also, I just went in and there were 2 eggs and an eaten one...I will keep working on it.

One of my little Bantams layed her egg out in the run, I went to pick it up and thought it was really light...turned it over there was a hole pecked into it and everything inside either was eaten or drained out. This is a first for my hens. I gave them a lecture like a good owner should, then followed it by this threat..."you can always end up as dinner". They just squawked at me. Mine get laying feed plus all of the eggshells which I can collect from neighbors into their feed. I think someone was just having too much fun on the first day of 75 degree weather here in Ohio.
But I always know when a hen lays because the others start making this awful shrill sound and the rooster starts crowing...they are very vocal but I only heard twice today of them doing it and that is why I don't know what happened to egg number three but I do know who layed it....

I filled eggs with dijon mustard and they didn't seem to mind it. I think they were going after the eggshells though. Should I wash them really well, crush them up, and give them to them? I know I don't want them to recognize it as their own shells but they don't seem to like the oyster shells I give them. Oh them chickens!

Back
Top Bottom