Help! Chickens fighting and drawing blood.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kataloo, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    I replaced the nesting box in the coop today. The new one has a flat roof. Tonight one of the Easter Eggers was standing on the roof, and the other hens were on the roost, which is slightly higher. For some reason both of the Buff Orpingtons started picking on the EEs. (One of the Buff's was a lot more vicious than the other one.) They were pecking her in the face and drawing blood. (Both Buff's have been laying and the EEs have not started yet.) Is this is an example of "I'm alpha, leave my stuff alone!" I only have one nest box, cuz I only have 4 hens. Should I get another nesting box?

I didn't know what to do. Remove the bully hen? Remove the injured hen? Let them work it out? I know this is late on a Saturday night, but I hope someone is online that can advise me what to do.

Worried Hen Momma.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Add a second nest box making so occupants do not see each while on nest.

Scrap could also be where EE's are challenging the Buffs.

3. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Should I separate them, or let them roost together for the night and hopefully they will be friends again in the morning? Or will I have a very injured chicken by morning?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of both groups including close-ups of injuries. In all likelihood separation is not the best option but need to rule out.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    YES! You need to separate that bully hen immediately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by