((HELP!!! Chickens Have BUGS))

chickenlovefever

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
My problem has been solved! Thankyou for whoever gave me the suggestionf ro Garden dust, It worked!

Last edited:
barnie.gif

What color were the bugs? If they were mites, I have found the best course of treatmet to be is to first treat each and every bird. I used to use a permetherin poultry dust on them, an easy way to apply the dust is to cut the toe of an old panty hose or knee high and fill it with the dust, then just use it like a powder pouf and cover them well, but be sure to get to the feather base. As soon as you've treated your entire flock, clean out the coop of all the old bedding and replace with new bedding. Be sure to mix some permetherin dust or sevin dust in with their dust bath to control any further outbreaks.

Good luck!

I put 1-2 drops, from an eyedropper of Frontline (for dogs) on my birds, either under their wing, or to the side of their vent. I was skeptical when a friend first recommended it, but my chickens are doing great, and are bug free.

I'm sure there will be opinions to the contrary, but its an easy way to get rid of bugs fast, then you can work on more organic methods for next time.

i like the idea of frontline. my parents use it on their dog (an inside dog), and she has never brought fleas into the house or had a problem.

get some Sevin dust, 5 or 10% from the gardening department at your local store. it has been recommended by every ag department i've read recommendations by for controlling lice and mites in fowl.

dust under their pits, in the creases under their legs, around their vents and on their backs. do it over a newspaper to catch the falloff. repeat in 10 days.

while you're dusting them, clean out the coop and spray with liquid seven and let dry. place new dry bedding.

works great!

I wouldn't put that on my birds - or dogs. Frontline and the likes are poisons. Insecticides. But then, I care about my dogs and I don't want to eat pesticide laden eggs. There are alternatives to poisons. Put diatomaceous earth on the birds. Borax inside for fleas. I wash all my floors, dog crates and bedding, with borax. Like 20 Mule Team..NOT boric acid. If I see a flea I dust the carpet with borax, rub it in and then vacuum. Haven't had a flea problem since.

I use a poultry duster (can't remember the name of it) for lice which are little orange bugs. I dust each bird seperatly and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom