Help!! Chickens have fowl pox and our meds are not working

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fenderchicks, Nov 14, 2010.

1. fenderchicks

fenderchicks New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    Stockton GA
    Our chickens have started coming down with fowl pox ( diagnosed by photos listed on here ) We have been treating them with Duramycin10, Sulmet. We are putting Neomycin on the sores. Any other ideas??

Thanks,
    Tammy
    [email protected]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Just give them good supportive care. As long as they have dry pox it shouldn't be much of a problem and they should start getting better in a week or so--think chicken pox with kids. In rare cases there can be serious problems, but most will get over it on their own given a little time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Fowl pox is a virus, antibiotics wont help unless there's a secondary infection. Iodine will help dry the scabs out, they'll shrink and fall off, but others will reform til the virus has run its course. That takes about a month more or less to go away. Fowl pox is contageous to other chickens and the scabs that fall off are highly infective. Once the fowl pox is gone, they will be immune to that particular type of fowl pox.

4. fenderchicks

fenderchicks New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    Stockton GA
    We have tried different stuff and none is working. We have had several die. That's what we were trying to prevent. We've lost 15 chickens so far.

5. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Howdy and [​IMG] !

When some of our chickens got fowl pox, we dabbed mouthwash on their scabs to dry them out. We quarantined them until they got over it. Ours had it for three to five weeks. I hope yours recover quickly! [​IMG]

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Can you post some pictures? It would also help if you copy/paste the questions from the please read sticky at the top of the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section and answer as many of them as you can. Losing fifteen birds to fowl pox (unless it's the wet variety?) is a lot and not normal at all. I'm wondering if you have something else going on.

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a description of my fowl pox experiences on my blog here .

Bottom line: the good advice I got from BYC (give supportive care) was very helpful.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I agree with you Kittymomma, there's something else going on here. I havnt known dry pox to cause death...I've been through it. Wet pox on the otherhand is a different story. You can see yellowish lesions in the mouth, throat around the nostrils. The chicken cant eat/swallow due to the lesions causing blockage in the throat...it can suffocate to death or die of starvation.

9. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Maybe it is something else? Could you post pictures? [​IMG]

10. fenderchicks

fenderchicks New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    Stockton GA
    Thanks I will post some photos tomorrow. They are still eating just fine. Very curious.. Thanks so much for all the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by