Help chicken's insides coming out (photo)

peaceful

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
BC Canada
Just discovered a little hen with this:
Is it blocked intestines? Doesn't seem to be an egg there... It's pretty dramatic. Help!
How can I help her?!
12354_dsc03962.jpg

no, it is soft, with a bit of blood on the outside, and contained in tissue. I think it is a prolapse? Wondering what's best to do...!

Looks like you have a prolapse for sure. I don't know anything about handling that sort of thing. I am so sorry. Hope someone has some good advice real soon! Maybe PM speckledhen?

Can you push it back in? Put some prep H on it and put her in a dark room to keep her from laying. Make sure she is eating and drinking. Give her some electrolytes and vits in water or gatorade or sugar in her water. If you can't push it back in yourself perhaps she needs veterinary intervention to save her.

There are many threads here on prolapse, if you do a search.

Basically, it's clean her up, put the prolapse back in, use prep H or witch hazel on it to help shrink it, keep her in a dark place to discourage egg laying for a few days so she heals. You may have to repeat the process a few times until things stay in place.

You will need to watch her as this could continue to happen or may never happen again. If it continues to happen you may want to consider processing her as eventually you will loose her.

If you hatch your own eggs, do not use hers as it can be heridary.

Thank you for your your responses!
She's about 11 months old, as are almost all my chickens. I really think they had a hard winter. I also think they are low on calcium and am trying to rectify the situation.
I've studied prolapsed vents on BYC and have washed the area and put honey on it, having no Prep H or those kinds of things. It seems a little better. Her poop seems very stinky.
(If she gets better I don't know how I will be able to tell which are her eggs when I want to hatch some but will try. I have twenty odd hens. I have eggs in the incubator right now for my first incubator hatch, some of which may be hers.)

Oh Oh! I just went to check on her and I think I can feel an egg inside her, partially broken and she seems like she is trying to pass it! Poor thing. Suggestions?!!

stay calm first.....there is a thread on this site that tells you what to do for a broken egg inside the hen..Ill look for it

Back
Top Bottom