help chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by macleods14, May 15, 2009.

1. macleods14

macleods14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    uk
    we have a dozen rhode island ladys that up to about 4 weeks ago were laying well but since then the eggs have stopped coming or very few either 1 or two a day and very pale yolks and pale shell. whats happened ????????? we are feeding layers pellets (or could we have been given the wrong pellets from shop)

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How old are they? Do you offer them oyster shell?

3. macleods14

Jul 30, 2008
    uk
    no we dont give them oyster shell do you think we should, they r about 18 months they went off lay in winter which we thought was the nor but thay have gone off again

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

18 months old! There is your answer. I am betting that any day now it is gonna look like 15 teenagers had a pillow fight in the coop. 18 months is the average age for a first full molt! Expect feather galore any minute now. Yes, they stop laying when they molt.

5. macleods14

Jul 30, 2008
    uk
    so when in the winter would that just have been weather conditions rather than a moult i have to say that i didnt really see alot of feathers when they went off before. how long will this last.

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by