1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Chickens on the loose!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dixie&trixie, Sep 7, 2010.

1. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    So I have 3 lovely chickens who free range in my backyard. They are 18 weeks and seemed to be content with the arrangements I have provided them, or so I thought. Lately they have been flying up on the fence and roosting there. It wasnt bothering me one bit. Actually it was enjoyable watching them tightrope walk. Except that now that they have gotten a better view of the "other side" they see that the grass IS greener on the other side. [​IMG]

I get a text message from my DBF this morning saying the the chickens have "flown the coop!!!" They had flown across the fence and were happily pecking at the ground on the other side - BY THE ROAD!!! Now mind you, I do not live in the country. I live in a suburb so this cannot continue. I really do not want to enclose them now since they have been free range birds since about 3 weeks old. Should I clip their wings? Anyone with instructions on how do do this please...? It would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I guess if you are hoping to still free range clipping wings are the way to go. I have read about it here but have yet to do it. (will be reading it a lot more when I get to the ducks flying)

3. DukesAngel

DukesAngel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I agree, you will have to clip wings unless you keep them in a secured closed run. There is a lot of discussion on the boards for clipping, personally I clip both wings. I tried one side but my EE's could still fly a few feet up. Good luck!

4. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    My wife and I usually clip the first ten feathers on one side. This causes them to be off balance and not able to fly very high. We typically use plain old scissors. My wife will hold the chicken out while I clip the ten feathers. It's pretty easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by